Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

emachines e442 with around 40 gigs missing

so a dude i know came by with an emachines laptop he wanted me to fix. it starts up slower than god damn and theres about 3000 programs showing up at startup. some .bat files and spamware, i have no idea. i'm currently reformatting with win7 (he doesnt know linux), but i will install a linux distro on the side. there also seems to be around 40 GB missing. is there someone f'ing with the partitions or am i just seeing wrong?

i need to use some kind of live cd or temporarily install some rescue distro.. i have never used gparted live or system rescue cd (or gentoo which SRCD seems to be based on.) is there any difference between using these and/or just using debian for the same task?

also, which distro do you reccomend to dual boot for a total newb who doesnt really speak english, only arabic and a little norwegian? i need this dude to become a little familiar with linux (or just computers in general) so he doesnt need to come here every month.

my honor as a technician depends on this.

That's the trouble with "gigs". There are gigabytes - GB (power of ten), and gibibytes - GiB (power of two). Thus, 100 GB != 100 GiB. Details here. As long as you use "gigs" you will always be confused.
    Anyhow,
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    will print the partitions layout. Linux has no GUI, so it does not make any difference whether you run it from Gentoo, Debian or whatnot. There are several GUI's that run on top of Linux, but they are not suitable for troubleshooting as they obfuscate readouts and are difficult to use and interpret compared to command line tools.
    BTW, what happened to your keyboard? You better fix that Shift key, otherwise your posts look terribly illiterate.

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    That's the trouble with "gigs". There are gigabytes - GB (power of ten), and gibibytes - GiB (power of two). Thus, 100 GB != 100 GiB. Details here. As long as you use "gigs" you will always be confused.
    Anyhow,
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    will print the partitions layout. Linux has no GUI, so it does not make any difference whether you run it from Gentoo, Debian or whatnot. There are several GUI's that run on top of Linux, but they are not suitable for troubleshooting as they obfuscate readouts and are difficult to use and interpret compared to command line tools.
    BTW, what happened to your keyboard? You better fix that Shift key, otherwise your posts look terribly illiterate.
    i changed gigs to GB in the OP, i thought people would notice. shift key?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mindsword View Post
    there also seems to be around 40 GB missing.
    40GB of what?
    and compared to what?

ps: i dislike the shift key, too. doesn't make me illiterate.

Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    40GB of what?
    and compared to what?

ps: i dislike the shift key, too. doesn't make me illiterate.
    40 GB's of the harddrive! i deleted all partitions and 40 gigs were just gone compared to the specs written on the laptop. concidering like 1000 hackers have had access to it i dont see why someone shouldnt just encrypt a bootkit partition for themselves. but then i still havent tried the linux fdisk command as i havent gotten to installing any distros yet....

sorry i just dont have the patience to press shift every time i start a sentence on a forum.... i start too many...

so which distro do you recommend for livecd or temporary install? i know this particular laptop uses broadcom or atheros wireless cards. i forgot to check before i reinstalled lol now it just says Network Controller in device manager.......

crap!! emergency help needed!

i managed to install win 7 and the network drivers. i then proceeded to try debian. it went well at first, i managed to partition the disk successfully and connect to the wireless network. it installed for a while when suddenly it shut off. then now at bootup it just shows "PXE-E61 Media Test Failure, Check Cable" message and no bootable device found. what the heck man??? did i fry the harddrive??

nothing works! f12 shows all the boot options but if i chose one it crashes!

i think i destroyed my neighbors machine. but it still starts. i can still get to BIOS and boot selection.
    Last edited by mindsword; 11-27-2016 at 08:25 PM.

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mindsword View Post
    40 GB's of the harddrive! i deleted all partitions and 40 gigs were just gone compared to the specs written on the laptop.
    yeah, thanks for clarifying that.
    40gb of the hard drive.
    compared to the specs. what specs? maybe you want to show us?
    also, we need command output, and if you comapre that to some windows output, a detailed description.

you just keep spouting "40gb are gone!"...
    gawd...

or i should say "woul have needed".
    from your last post i gather that you have entered the next phase of cluelessness already...

-->
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    yeah, thanks for clarifying that.
    40gb of the hard drive.
    compared to the specs. what specs? maybe you want to show us?
    also, we need command output, and if you comapre that to some windows output, a detailed description.

you just keep spouting "40gb are gone!"...
    gawd...

or i should say "woul have needed".
    from your last post i gather that you have entered the next phase of cluelessness already...
    you're a sarcastic genious. did you win any prizes?

i've posted alot of info. and how the **** am i supposed to give any outputs without anything to boot from? dont get alot of info from the BIOS.