Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Thumbs up Dell XPS 13 Ubuntu edtion to replace my Macbook Air? Build quality?

I'm seriously thinking about replacing my 2010 Macbook Air, 11" with the Dell XPS 13 Ubuntu. I'll probably install fedora 25 on it, since I'm running that as well on the Macbook Air. I like it, but may be I'm going to give Ubuntu a try as well.

Since I need to order the laptop online with Dell (no brick store in The Netherlands) I'm a bit concerned about the build quality of the Dell. The Macbooks are great. I love the build quality, but the Dell seems solid as wel, in the pictures I see online.

What's your take on this? What about the build quality of the Dell? Is it comparable?! Is it bad?

Thanks!!!!!

You could email Linus Torvalds and ask, he is using one of those.

OK, I think that answers my question!

Thanks!!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    I've read a number of positive reviews about that system. As good as the Air? Only time will tell.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Indeed, I read very good reviews as well... I ordered mine 2 days ago!
    It's expected to be delivered Jan 31... So I have to wait another bit.. ....

I'm planning to install Fedora 25 on it.

I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Remember, Fedora is "experimental" and may have issues. You can get the xps with Ubuntu pre-installed. Fedora is what Red Hat uses to refine new system software. Not always stable.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Thanks for the tip!
    I ordered the Ubuntu edition, but think I Fedora (tried it at my Macbook air).
    In case issues with Fedora, I will return to Ubuntu.

And probably I will give Ubunut a try as well, before installing Fedora

I’ve done a little research on MX, it looks really good. For one thing, it makes installing desktop environments really easy.