Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

issues with hp zbook 15 g3

Hi,

two months ago I've gotten a brand new work laptop HP Zbook 15 G3. I hadn't researched at the time whether it was suitable for linux, however the two previous releases were approved for Ubuntu.

I usually run dual boot setup and I did on this one as well: Win 10 + Ubuntu 16.04. Right of the bat I had issues with the 4k Nvidia graphics. First I've tried using with default drivers and then changed to the Nvidia drivers in the third party driver setup. However I've experienced issues with both setups. The system would freeze, not recover from sleep mode and so on. After two weeks the motherboard died. I don't know if it was related to my issues.

Now I've gotten a new one under warranty and I've installed Ubuntu 16.04 yesterday and I have the same issues:
    - after install and still with default graphic drivers the system froze after the FIRST login. Then I used
    Code:
    sudo ubuntu-drivers devices
    to get the recommended third party driver and installed it. After that, I got the login loop issue and finally the screen is just black.

I'm reluctant to continue experimenting cause I don't want it to die for the second time if it really was related to my issues.

I have to questions if anyone can help:

1. Which would be the best linux distro for this laptop?

2. What laptop would be best to use with Ubuntu or similar distros; is there any specific hardware that I need to stay away from?

kind regards,
    seba

Linux Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by kuharcek View Post
    1. Which would be the best linux distro for this laptop?
    because it's so new, you'd need a rolling release distro.
    try antergos or manjaro.

2. What laptop would be best to use with Ubuntu
    right after release you can throw new hardware at it, but not later on. the 16.04 release was already a while back, hence my recommendation for 1.
    is there any specific hardware that I need to stay away from?
    nvidia and amd graphics can be tricky, esp. if you want performance, you need the proprietary drivers.

dual/hybrid graphics is tricky but solveable.

-->
    Thank you for the information. For now I've decided not to go forth with linux on this laptop due to additional problems.

regards
    seba

$spacer_open
$spacer_close