Find the answer to your Linux question:
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Laptop Doesn't Suspend HP ProBook 450 G3

I have a new HP ProBook 450 G3 15.6″ Laptop.

I installed Ubuntu 16.10 Gnome on it. I'm using a SSD (no spinning disk). The laptop doesn't Suspend (i.e. Suspend-to-RAM) when I shut the lid and carry it elsewhere. When I get to my destination either the laptop is hot or the battery is dead.

I know that shutting the lid can cause a number of different states (sleep, suspend, hibernate). I believe that what I want is correctly called Suspend-to-RAM (monitor off, and details saved to RAM for a speedy return to work). This laptop, on lid-close, shuts off the monitor but all else continues working.

When I call up "gnome-tweak-tool" the setttings appear to be correct (i.e. they tell the laptop to suspend-to-RAM when I close the lid)
    "When laptop lid is closed
    - On Battery Power - Suspend
    - When Plugged In - Suspend
    Don't Suspend on Lid Cose - Off"
    When I changed "Suspend" to "Hibernate" the laptop continued to do nothing except shut off the monitor when I close the lid.

How can I do that? I found some out of date posts on this but no solution yet.
    In Settings / Power I see "Power" and "Suspend and Power Button" but no place to specify action to occur on lid-close. I tried Gconf-Editor but I wasn't able to find the correct settings.

Based on www DOT linux DOT com/news/how-suspe...op-under-linux
    I think this is relevant
    Code:
    $ cat /sys/power/state
    freeze mem disk

Seems relevant too:
    wwwDOTkernelDOTorg/doc/Documenta.../interfaceDOTtxt I read that
    /sys/power/state is the system sleep state control file. it returns a list of supported sleep states, encoded as:
    'freeze' (Suspend-to-Idle)
    'standby' (Power-On Suspend)
    'mem' (Suspend-to-RAM)
    'disk' (Suspend-to-Disk)

For suspend to work the settings in BIOS/UEFI must allow it and the kernel in use must have support for suspend and specific hardware. You should check the logs (dmesg and what is that other thing that comes with systemd?) for ACPI errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Segfault View Post
    You should check the logs (dmesg and what is that other thing that comes with systemd?) for ACPI errors.
    $ dmesg
    Shows me a long list of info, but I don't know what to look for. Could the "Unknown key pressed" be the sleep/hibernate button which the lid-close presses?
    Code:
    [158462.129003] atkbd serio0: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x85 on isa0060/serio0).
    [158462.129006] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e005 <keycode>' to make it known.
    [158514.654565] atkbd serio0: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x85 on isa0060/serio0).
    [158514.654567] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e005 <keycode>' to make it known.
    [158554.115386] usb 1-2: USB disconnect, device number 97
    [158557.413366] atkbd serio0: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x85 on isa0060/serio0).
    [158557.413368] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e005 <keycode>' to make it known.
    [158592.328135] atkbd serio0: Unknown key pressed (translated set 2, code 0x85 on isa0060/serio0).
    [158592.328137] atkbd serio0: Use 'setkeycodes e005 <keycode>' to make it known.

This looks helpful, "UnderstandingSuspend - Ubuntu Wiki"
    wikiDOTubuntuDOTcom/UnderstandingSuspend

Contents of my "sleep_suspend.sh" file:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

# This script HANDLES the sleep or suspend button (does not TRANSLATE it). It
    # is part of the *suspend* side of acpi-support, not the special keys
    # translation side. If this script is called, it is assumed to be the result of
    # a suspend key press that can also be heard by other parts of the system. The
    # only time that it actually does something is when it is determined that no
    # other parts of the system are listening (this is what the CheckPolicy call
    # does).

test -f /usr/share/acpi-support/key-constants || exit 0

. /etc/default/acpi-support
    . /usr/share/acpi-support/policy-funcs

CheckPolicy && exit 0

[ x$1 != xsleep ] || [ x$ACPI_SLEEP = xtrue ] || exit 0

[ x$1 != xsuspend ] || [ x$ACPI_HIBERNATE = xtrue ] || exit 0

if [ x$LOCK_SCREEN = xtrue ]; then
    	. /usr/share/acpi-support/screenblank
    fi

if [ x$1 = xsleep ]; then
    	pm-suspend
    elif [ x$1 = xsuspend ]; then
    	pm-hibernate
    fi
    Contents of my "sleep_suspendbtn.sh" file:
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

command=$1
    if [ $command = "sleep" ]; then
    	key=$KEY_SLEEP
    elif [ $command = "suspend" ]; then
    	key=$KEY_SUSPEND
    else
    	logger -t${0##*/} -perr -- "Error: Cannot recognize command $1"
    fi

test -f /usr/share/acpi-support/key-constants || exit 0

. /usr/share/acpi-support/policy-funcs

if CheckPolicy; then
      # If gnome-power-manager or klaptopdaemon are running, generate the X
      # "sleep/suspend" key. The daemons will handle that keypress according to
      # their settings.

# (With this script being called only when a key is pressed that is *not*
      # seen as a suspend key by the rest of the system, we still need to do this
      # translation here.)

. /usr/share/acpi-support/key-constants
      acpi_fakekey $key 
    else
      # No power management daemons are running. Divert to our own implementation.

# Note that sleep.sh assumes that the pressed key is also seen by the rest
      # of the system. However, it will choose the right path (our own
      # implementation) if CheckPolicy says so. And this way we have a single
      # user-configurable point for how we do suspend. (Not that that's nice, 
      # but until we have pluggable suspend methods this is the way to go.)

/etc/acpi/sleep_suspend.sh $command
    fi
    Last edited by webmanoffesto; 03-31-2017 at 04:50 PM.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I found this:
    Best practice to debug Linux* suspend/hibernate issues | 01.org
    https :// 01.org/blogs/rzhang/2015/best-practice-debug-linux-suspend/hibernate-issues
    STR (suspend-to-RAM) offers significant power savings as everything in the system except memory is put into a low-power state. Memory should be placed into the self-refresh mode to retain its contents. ACPI platforms are in S3 after suspending to RAM. To enter this state, run the shell command: echo mem> /sys/power/state

I read "Power Management Interface for System Sleep" wwwDOTkernelDOTorg/doc/Documentation/power/interface.txt
    and I found that:
    * The file "/sys/power/state" contains this
    Code:
    freeze mem disk
    and
    * The file "/sys/power/disk" contains this
    Code:
    [platform] shutdown reboot suspend test_resume
    I followed this "DebuggingKernelSuspend - Ubuntu Wiki" wikiDOTubuntuDOTcom/DebuggingKernelSuspend
    Code:
    sudo sh -c "sync && echo 1 > /sys/power/pm_trace && pm-suspend"
    That DID put my laptop into Suspend-to-RAM state. A brief press on the power button woke it up, but then I got a frozen screen, it would not respond to keyboard or mouse. Frozen as things were when it SuspendedToRAM.
    Last edited by webmanoffesto; 03-31-2017 at 06:03 PM.