Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1
    Linux Newbie allin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    153

    What do you linux about ARM laptops


    Hello,
    I would like to know your opinion about ARM laptops like the Pinebook.

    Do you think they can have a future? Or they are so low-end that can't be used for nothing more than light web browsing?

  2. #2
    my pinebook 14" is about to be delivered very soon now.
    it is a little sad that the specs are already quite far behind current hardware development even in the budget sector, but the price tag was really pleasant and i believe i couldn't have easily gotten anything better for that money, even used.

    i will be able to say more when i get, right now i think it depends a lot on
    - how well the distro i decide to install on it will support the hardware, esp. graphic accelaration
    - how easily it is expandable, i.e. replace or even add components.

    from the spec sheet i'd say it's very compact & (physically) lightweight, i hope it's also sturdy...
    I am not a "Linux Guru"! Get off me! The Forum software won't let me change it!
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire | How to Use Code Tags
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it.

  3. #3
    Linux Newbie allin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    my pinebook 14" is about to be delivered very soon now.
    it is a little sad that the specs are already quite far behind current hardware development even in the budget sector, but the price tag was really pleasant and i believe i couldn't have easily gotten anything better for that money, even used.

    i will be able to say more when i get, right now i think it depends a lot on
    - how well the distro i decide to install on it will support the hardware, esp. graphic accelaration
    - how easily it is expandable, i.e. replace or even add components.

    from the spec sheet i'd say it's very compact & (physically) lightweight, i hope it's also sturdy...
    Please post here your impressions about the Pinebook when you receive it. I'm also interested thanks to the low price, but I don't know what I really could do with it

    Inviato dal mio M3s utilizzando Tapatalk

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    19
    They're all a bad deal if you're doing bang-per-buck comparisons... any Intel SoC is much better (BayTrail, CherryTrail). Only reason to buy one is to hack around with it, so I like the Pi-Top best.

    My Privacy Enhanced Linux ARM64 PC costs less than all of them though:

    $111.00 WaveShare 10.1" IPS touchscreen
    $35.00 Raspberry Pi 3 64-bit
    $27.88 SanDisk Ultra Plus 64GB
    $0.00 PELinux64 BETA6C Ubuntu 18.04 ARM64
    TOTAL $173.88 (U.S. dollars)

    It's a little hard to carry around though... wish WaveShare would put a little more thought into the case.

  6. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by allin View Post
    Please post here your impressions about the Pinebook when you receive it.
    pinebook.md
    correction: battery life turns out to be rather good after all.
    but it seems that copying from/to external storage takes a lot of energy.

    i cannot agree with the previous poster's roundabout dismissal of ARM SOCs - but one realises after some time that these computers are quite different from what we're all used to (pc compatible).
    and linux distributions still seem to be in the process of catching up with it.

    but the machine is very usable! and i'm looking forward to taking it with me on some road trip some time.
    I am not a "Linux Guru"! Get off me! The Forum software won't let me change it!
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire | How to Use Code Tags
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it.

  7. #6
    Linux Newbie allin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    pinebook.md
    correction: battery life turns out to be rather good after all.
    but it seems that copying from/to external storage takes a lot of energy.

    i cannot agree with the previous poster's roundabout dismissal of ARM SOCs - but one realises after some time that these computers are quite different from what we're all used to (pc compatible).
    and linux distributions still seem to be in the process of catching up with it.

    but the machine is very usable! and i'm looking forward to taking it with me on some road trip some time.
    How many hours the pinebook does with a single charge?
    This article is yours?

    Sent from my Xperia X Performance

  8. #7
    article is mine.
    if i use it lightly once a day, one charge lasts maybe a week.
    I am not a "Linux Guru"! Get off me! The Forum software won't let me change it!
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire | How to Use Code Tags
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it.

  9. #8
    Linux Newbie allin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    153
    Quote Originally Posted by nihili View Post
    article is mine.
    if i use it lightly once a day, one charge lasts maybe a week.
    Ok, i suppose that it lasts 5-6h with a single charge. Good.
    Do you have problems on the web? Can you watch videos online or it isn't Powerful enough?

  10. #9
    Just Joined!
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    19
    tinylcd makes a nice 7" case too, if you want to make your own tablet. Can't link but easy to Google.

    I'm not dismissive of Apple's new ARM64 SoC but they had to design one themselves and it costs way more than any Intel SoC. Too rich for my blood. I get what I pay for with a $35 Pi 3B anyway. It's a perfectly usable desktop computer.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by allin View Post
    Ok, i suppose that it lasts 5-6h with a single charge. Good.
    i forgot to mention that in between it's on suspend, not switched off!


    Do you have problems on the web? Can you watch videos online?
    no, yes.
    I am not a "Linux Guru"! Get off me! The Forum software won't let me change it!
    How to ask smart questions | Don't be a Help Vampire | How to Use Code Tags
    You can post a link by removing "http://www." from it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •