Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
  1. #1

    Best linux to take full advantage of powerful laptop?


    It seems every linux I've read about is tailored to run slim and on the most modest of systems.

    I want a distro that will take full advantage of a full-blown balls to the wall laptop/desktop for home use.

    The specs of my laptop are as follows:

    6th Gen i7 quad core
    32GB DDR4
    Geforce 1060 4GB
    512GB m.2 SSD
    2TB HDD

    Anything that calls for more than the most meager of systems? I don't care if it's rolling or on a 6 month release cycle. I just want something that calls for more than just the most basic of computers.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Linux User
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    443
    Quote Originally Posted by JWhipple View Post
    It seems every linux I've read about is tailored to run slim and on the most modest of systems. I want a distro that will take full advantage of a full-blown balls to the wall laptop/desktop for home use.

    The specs of my laptop are as follows:

    6th Gen i7 quad core
    32GB DDR4
    Geforce 1060 4GB
    512GB m.2 SSD
    2TB HDD

    Anything that calls for more than the most meager of systems? I don't care if it's rolling or on a 6 month release cycle. I just want something that calls for more than just the most basic of computers.
    its not 'tailored" for it...linux is just more efficient. any distro will work fine, and go ahead and turn on all the gnome or kde eye candy you want, itll still be smooth. load opensuse tumbleweed.

  3. #3
    Linux Guru Segfault's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Acadiana
    Posts
    2,185
    32 GB of RAM. 95% of it will be not used with Linux, unless you load a virtual machine. Linux will do its best and use it for caching, but it is too much even for that. Never understood folks getting that much RAM. Will your car go faster when you add more wheels?

  4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
  5. #4
    I'll be running a minimum of 2 virtual machines at any given time - one a Windows Server 2016 and another Windows 10, and then at other times up to 4 more test machines. So yeah, the memory is needed.

    I got tired of window's piss-poor memory management , especially with multiple VMs running at any given time, so I jumped the shark over to linux. Only reason I even deal with windows is due to my job.

  6. #5
    Linux Guru Rubberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Posts
    14,038
    Quote Originally Posted by JWhipple View Post
    I'll be running a minimum of 2 virtual machines at any given time - one a Windows Server 2016 and another Windows 10, and then at other times up to 4 more test machines. So yeah, the memory is needed.

    I got tired of window's piss-poor memory management , especially with multiple VMs running at any given time, so I jumped the shark over to linux. Only reason I even deal with windows is due to my job.
    This is a good system configuration for your stated needs. My current laptop (on which I write this) is a current i7 quad-core with 16GB RAM (I don't need to run so many VMs), but I do quite a bit of audio and video processing so that takes up quite a bit of the RAM. I also have a high-end nVidia GTX video card and Sound Blaster Cinema2 audio card. Get the gear you need for your purposes. From what you say, you have pretty much done your homework on that.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

  7. #6
    Linux Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,747
    Quote Originally Posted by JWhipple View Post
    I don't care if it's rolling or on a 6 month release cycle.
    i think you answered your own question; archlinux and fedora come to mind because they are usually the closest to current hardware development (i assume the laptop is NEW?).
    i don't know fedora, so i'll recommend archlinux (which i use myself).
    installing a full-blown KDE desktop should make use of a little more of that copious RAM.

  8. #7
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    160
    I haven't used Gentoo before, but considering that it need to be compiled for each machine, don't you think it can be the best choice? Gentoo will perfectly fit the hardware.

    I've never used Gentoo so this is only a question

  9. #8
    Linux Guru Rubberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Posts
    14,038
    Quote Originally Posted by allin View Post
    I haven't used Gentoo before, but considering that it need to be compiled for each machine, don't you think it can be the best choice? Gentoo will perfectly fit the hardware.

    I've never used Gentoo so this is only a question
    I installed Gentoo on several systems in the past. The biggest hurdle was learning how to configure and build the system. Once I overcame that, it was not difficult to configure/build new systems. Yes, I was able to configure the system so that only the hardware I had was built into the kernel - very efficient and lean.
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

  10. #9
    Linux Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubberman View Post
    I installed Gentoo on several systems in the past. The biggest hurdle was learning how to configure and build the system. Once I overcame that, it was not difficult to configure/build new systems. Yes, I was able to configure the system so that only the hardware I had was built into the kernel - very efficient and lean.
    I've tried to install Gentoo once, but failed. Now I'm happy with (look at my profile image ). Far easier but it's a good distro.

    Anyway Gentoo could be a good choice for the user if he can manage the installation process

  11. #10
    Linux Guru Rubberman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    I can be found either 40 miles west of Chicago, in Chicago, or in a galaxy far, far away.
    Posts
    14,038
    -->
    Indeed! It only took me a "month of Sundays" to get it all sorted out! Once I did, it was a "piece of cake"!
    Sometimes, real fast is almost as good as real time.
    Just remember, Semper Gumbi - always be flexible!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •