Find the answer to your Linux question:
i`m looking to get a new notebook pc and would like to run linux. which brand would be most reliable running it and around $1,000? currently i`m looking at the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

linux notebooks..

i`m looking to get a new notebook pc and would like to run linux. which brand would be most reliable running it and around $1,000?

currently i`m looking at the dell inspiron 1000.

Linux Newbie
    the dell inspirion 1150, thats what i have, the only thing is that in knoppix you have to reconfigure the video driver types, but its around $800, thats personal preferance truly
    Linux is for those who want to know why their computer works.

Registered Linux Machine #293111
    Registered Linux User #371115

installed slackware on a Sony Vaio PCG-F580 and it worked just fine. it recognized my Wireless Card it would seem however my Access Point is acting up so i havent gotten the chance to use it online yet. i am only using it as a Internet Surfing machine so its not critical or anything.
    Blog
    Registered Linux user 396557

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Eis
    Just Joined!
    I have a question concerning linux on laptops.

There is these pages which offer a preinstalled linux. Like for instance
    www.linuxcertified.com
    or
    www.swt.com

Do they charge one too much? And are they reliable? Has enyone any exprerience to share, please?

The reason why I am looking out for linux pre-installed is because I don't want to spend too much time getting all my hardware running. But the main reason is that I am just not expreinced with linux very much so I have basically no clue how to fix problems. So I would have to look in the internet each time...

greetings,
    boris

Just Joined!

notebook 4 1K will you try BSD?

Have you considered an iBook? They are pretty rugged, have nearly all of the advantages of linux and a few bonuses (especially fast user start up, DVDs, etc.).

My youngest kid loves his. I run Fedora Core 3 on a 3-year old, el cheapo, Toshiba Satellite 1800 S204, and it works fine. Whatever floats your boat.

Eis
    Just Joined!
    http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux-laptop-lc2210d.html

THAT's the one. Too expensive? Do you know where I can get it cheaper?

gr, boris

Linux Guru
    Im running Debian on an IBM Thinkpad T30 at the moment, it works well and the laptop is very good quality IMO, overall i would recommend it. There were a few issues with getting the video card to work (needed to make some manual adjustments to X11.conf) but its been as good as gold ever since.

I used to have a laptop manufactured by a company called "Advent" which ran Redhat 9 ok, but the laptop was terrible quality (its totally broken now) and had a really loud fan - IMO stay away from those things!

Just Joined!
    I would like to add my experience too, I'm currently running Ubuntu on my 4 years old asus LC8400, and it runs very smoothly, no problems at all.

All of my hardware were detected automatically, just one small issue I encountered, when I shutdown the system, I have to shut the screen, otherwise it reboots by itself, no big deal anyway.

I am running slackware 10 on my Toshiba right now with no probs. But my toshiba is out of your price range but what I wanted to say is I used to have a P3 1gig Acer laptop and it ran Mandrake awesome and it played DVD's fine in xine. I also had redhat on it before Mandrake but Red Hat ran slower for some reason. If you could find a acer I bet it would be cheaper than 1000 dollars and I bet Slackware, Debian, or Gentoo would run awesome on it.
    Cheers,
    Mike
    Some people have told me they don't think a fat penguin really embodies the grace of Linux, which just tells me they have never seen a angry penguin charging at them in excess of 100mph. They'd be a lot more careful about what they say if they had.
    -- Linus Torvalds