Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey there. I am new to the open source world, and to the Linux world as well. So, I need some help. I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M laptop, with ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Modem

Hey there. I am new to the open source world, and to the Linux world as well. So, I need some help. I have a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M laptop, with a Smart Link 56K modem which is connected to COM3 (this info comes from Windows XP Pro). I tried configuring the modem from linux ( I have Knoppix 3.7 installed), but without any success. So, I googled it, and I found a module for my modem for linux from the official site of the modem. I downloaded it, I follow the instructions, but it doesn't seem to work... What can I do?

please help me if you have anything related to this. If you need any more specs of my lap, I will be happy to send them to you.

- ardeth

How does it not work? Does it give you any error messages? Is it a win-modem etc?

Just Joined!
    [sorry for my being late, but school homework and studying for tests took me longer than I expected... :P ]

Well, I downloaded the modules (on a tar file), I un-tarred the file, and then I did everything the instructions told me to do. I read the 'read-me' file, and I changed the kernel target to my kernel. Then, I entered as root, changed to that directory and run the 'make' command, and then the 'makeinstall' or 'make install' command (don't reminisce the exact command), and then the instructions told me to run 'slmodemd' or something like it, but when I did it nothing came up. Only the usual 'bad command' or stuff error messages.

This means that I cannot connect to the internet though Linux, and I have to use damn Windoze to write these kind of posts... :P

I am looking forward to seeing your reply,

-ardeth

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    I'm not sure, but Knopix based on Debian.
    Try with sl-modem-daemon - which is write for smart link modems.
    for example from here: http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/sl-modem.html or apt-get install sl-modem-daemon (but i'm not sure ;/).
    Regards

Just Joined!
    Hey there. Thanks for the info/help, but I have already downloaded the 2.9.10 version of the modem modules.

Here's an analytical list of what I do and what I get as a result.

I follow the read me file, changing to the module's directory, executing the make and then the make install command, and then I do modprobe slamr (cause it's a PCMCIA and not a usb modem) and I type /usr/sbin/slmodemd --country=GREECE /dev/slamr0 to state the modem's device link. I change directory to /scripts/debian (since Knoppix is based on Debian) and I execute the application (slmodemd) to see if it works. I type /blabla/scripts/debian/slmodemd start it says something [positive, nothing negative] and after that I type /blabla/scripts/debian/slmodemd stop. I then notice this little note on the bottom of the README file that says

- some versions of 'kppp' may not work properly with devices named like '/dev/ttySL0'. To workaround this you may create symbolic link
    '/dev/modem' ( # ln -s /dev/ttySL0 /dev/modem ) and use this link
    as modem device with 'kppp'
    So, what do you think I do? I enter as su and type ln -s /dev/slamr0 /dev/modem (slamr0 is the device name I defined earlier as the modem's device). I get an ok message, and then I say ' WOW! It wasn't that hard! WAS IT?! ' so I try configuring KPPP. I go, finish all the details and connections/isp details/phone numbers, and I choose as my modem device /dev/modem since that's what I have to do if I use KPPP. I then press, ok, put username and password and I press 'connect'. AND I GET THE MESSAGE Unable to create lock file. I forgot to tell you, I did some chmod 775 /var/lock before, that a friend suggested, and I also added my username to the uucp group, but nothing changed...

PLEASE, SOMEONE, SAVE ME FROM THE CLAWS OF WINDOZE! I CANNOT STAND THIS ANYMORE!

[thank you for reading this, and I hope that I will get some responses as well]

- ardeth[/i][/b]

Linux Guru
    What is the result if you do this command?
    Code:
    ls -l /dev/slamr0
    Can you post the entire line?
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Ok. I reinstalled the modules, and I get the same message: Unable to create lock file. . So, I did this command (ls -l /dev/slamr0) and this is what I got:

crw------- 1 root root 212, 0 Mar 17 18:16 /dev/slamr0.

So, what now? I really want to get online with Linux. As soon as I get online with Linux, I will ditch this windows thing from my computer...

I will be eternally thankful for any help given. Thank you again for your help and time,

- ardeth

Linux Guru
    Code:
    crw-------  1 root  root 212, 0 Mar 17 18:16  /dev/slamr0
    I don't know much, but that major number of 212 looks suspect. I couldn't find a list of device major and minor numbers to check it (I'm not at a Linux computer), but there should be one at /usr/src/linux/devices.txt Also, I wonder if the permissions shouldn't be crw-rw---- Sorry I don't have more to offer.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    Well, I kinda got over this problem, but a new one occured...

I uninstalled the drivers/modules, and reinstalled them, and I went to irc.freenode.net // ##linux (yes, it has two #'s, it's not a mistake), so, I asked some questions there, and they asked for the same thing you asked. They told me, however, how to change the permissions. They didn't actually tell me, but they told me to take a look at man chown and man chmod. I did, and I changed the permissions to /dev/modem, /dev/slamr0 and /var/lock as well, with these commands:

$ chown ardeth:ardeth /bleh/blah
    $ chmod a+crw /bleh/blah

Bbbbbbbbbbbbut! There is still a problem. I don't get the 'Unable to create lock file' error anymore: I get the 'Modem busy' error...

AND THE MODEM IS NOT BUSY! What should I do?

Please help.

Thanks
    -ardeth

Just Joined!
    Linux Torvalds bless you everyone. I finally managed to get online with Linux...

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAY!

I went to irc.freenode.net // ##linux and they helped me a lot. Thanks for everyone's help.

LINUX PWNS!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast