Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi all. It seems a lot of people are having trouble with power management and their laptops. I think I have everything working pretty well except my fan is constantly ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

how do I change thermal_trip_points for acpi?

Hi all. It seems a lot of people are having trouble with power management and their laptops. I think I have everything working pretty well except my fan is constantly running. I have checked my thermal_trip_points in /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/thermal_trip_points

I run this command: cat trip_points
    and get these temperatures:

critical (S5): 100 C
    passive: 99 C: tc1=2 tc2=3 tsp=100 devices=0xc1229120
    active[0]: 65 C: devices=0xc1229aa0
    active[1]: 55 C: devices=0xc1229bc0
    active[2]: 40 C: devices=0xc1229ce0

I want to change the active [2] up some degrees because the computer never runs below 40C.

I found a page that said you can change the values by doing this:

echo "x: > trip_points" where x equals a value in celcius. I do this and it appears to change values but nothing happens and values change back after a while.

Thanks ahead of time.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

ok I don't know why the faces come up at end but it is supposed to be x's seperated by semicolons. HMMMM.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

oh...yeah one more thing. I figured out how to manually turn off fan with this command in this directory: /proc/acpi/fan/FAN1/ -------- echo "3" > state

this shuts off fan completely. But I think it disables the trip_points thus it could seriosly endager my computer if used imprudently.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close