Find the answer to your Linux question:
I haven't seen a specific thread for this laptop so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what distro would be best with this older laptop. Basic features ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Suggestions for distro on IBM I series 1200

I haven't seen a specific thread for this laptop so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what distro would be best with this older laptop. Basic features are: 550 mhz intel celeron----128 mb ram-----15 gb harddrive---nic----14 screen---and so on.

I love gentoo on my desktop and my former laptop but was considering trying something different if it would work better with older laptop. I've downloaded a "damn small linux" iso but would like some suggestions and any comments about past experience with a similar system.

Thanks alot

Cheers.

P.S. I know about distrowatch and the standard pages just so everyone knows. I have also checked out linuxlaptops and found my model but seems to be an old post and not super informative.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Linux Engineer
    i've used damnsmall linux many times in the past, and with that amount of memory you can boot with the toram parameter and really fly; however, I really think that a bootstraped gentoo install is the fastest way that any system could be run. If you want to try something different try slackware, but you will have to unbloat it considerably, also vector linux is a slackware derivative made specifically for running on older labtops. I run gentoo on a labtop with much lower specs and with enlightenment and a stage 1 install it really flys, just had problems with the nic...remember?...anyway good luck with it, it should perform like a champ with these distros...damnsmall just has pretty poor display I think...but vector, slack, and gentoo will make it do things you would never dream for an older system.
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

cool thanks for the advice. What version of enlightenment do you use and how would you compare it to fluxbox if you have used that. I have emerged fluxbox but I would like something with a menubar. But fluxbox will do for speed sake.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Engineer
    I just emerged enlightenment, not sure which version it is, but I think that it is one version behind because of stability issues. It does not have a menu bar by default, but one can be added very easily, also I have not had it perform any slower than fluxbox. The menus are about the same to configure, except that you can add icons rather than just text. The desktop navigation and customization is also much better than I ever experienced with fluxbox. I've found it to be much more configurable than fluxbox was, and I prefer it stylistically, in much the same way that I prefered fluxbox to xfce. I never could get it to work in slackware because dependancies that I never could find but "emerge enlightenment" did marvels, thank you gentoo!
    Operating System: GNU Emacs