Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
I also had the random lockups with the i9300 -- they're not so random, though. Just stick a CD into the DVD drive, and they go away. Magic! I'm working ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Random lockups: solution

I also had the random lockups with the i9300 -- they're not so random, though.

Just stick a CD into the DVD drive, and they go away. Magic!

I'm working with Jeff Garzik to get a fix into Linux-2.6 libata pronto.

-ml

Just Joined!

Ubuntu works fine, problems with SUSE LINUX 9.2 and 9.3

I also recently got my dell inspiron 9300 and searched around on the web for a tool that would allow me to resize the ntfs partition without destroying the windows xp that came pre-installed since I wanted a dual boot machine.

After some searching, I found a site that indicated that Ubuntu 5.04 would be able to handle the resizing. So I started with kubuntu (the kde version of ubuntu) and everything came up fine, graphics, wireless, etc., but I had several problems getting into administrator mode in kde's control panel. I got fed up and switched over to ubuntu and everything works just fine. Graphics came right up with 1900 x 1200 resolution, sound, wireless, b44 lan, dvd/cd drive reads/writes work just fine.

I left some space on the drive b/c I also wanted to install SUSE LINUX 9.x
    and Fedora 3. I haven't tried Fedora yet, but after booting up with the SUSE LINUX mini-install CD and starting the installation, I did run into trouble getting SUSE LINUX 9.x to connect to any ftp server, which was a major disappointment, even though I set the network manually (DHCP wouldn't work for some reason). I'm going to try with a full set of SUSE LINUX 9.3 CDs and see if that works better. It might just be a problem with the yast installer, but I won't know until I actually get it installed down. I think the installer might be having a hard time trying to figure out whether to use the eth0, the b44 lan or eth1 the Intel wireless network device. I didn't find anything in the installer that would let me select one over the other. I suppose I could go into the i9300 bios and turn off the wireless device - maybe I'll try that next.

My dell has the ATI Mobility Radeon X300. I haven't seen any lockups, but that might be because I left the Ubuntu CD in the drive as I continued to install additional packages.

One caveat about resizing the ntfs partition with ubuntu - when I booted into windows xp the first time after installing ubuntu (and resizing the ntfs partition during the installation process), windows xp complains that the volume is dirty and will force a disk check. In my case, everything was fine; after the disk check, windows rebooted the machine and when I booted into windows xp again, it didn't complain at all. I actually resized
    the ntfs partition twice - once for kubuntu and once for ubuntu. Overall, I've been very impressed with ubuntu, except for the fact that you have to tweak the login screen to allow root to login, it's working out pretty well so far.

Re: success . . . sort of

Quote Originally Posted by evwhite
    Actually, I was able to get most things working. My biggest problem was fixed by installing the 2.6.10-1.770 kernel RPM. Apparently the FC3 kernel didn't recognize my ethernet card (b44). With that fixed, I was able to download the new drivers for both the ethernet and the wireless (using ndiswrapper).

i also got the nvidia drivers working, but i can't seem to get higher than 1400x1050, even after manually editing my xorg.conf . . . any ideas?

have you had any luck getting the media control buttons to work? all i could accomplish was the volume ones, thru the gnome keyboard shortcuts interface.

any luck with power management? gnome's batter meter doesn't seem to read the battery correctly, and I can't seem to shutdown to RAM (suspend/sleep/hibernate/resurrect/etc) successfully. even after following the instructions here:
    http://tavmjong.free.fr/I9200/FedoraCore3.html

let me know if you've got any ideas on these issues...

~evan
    Fedora Core 4 is supposed to come out next monday you should wait until that.
    \"TTFN Taa Taa For Now\" by Tigger in Winnie the Pooh
    http://www.distrowatch.com Linux Distros
    We Live in a Windows World but there is Linux to save the day

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmalkiewicz
    ... The drivers seem to recognise the X300 ... so I'm
    guessing it's a modeline problem. Anyone have a working XF86Config-4 (or xorg.conf) file
    handy that works in 1920x1200 with an X300?
    I have an 8500 with an nVidia GeForce 4 -

I usually run it at 1680x1050 but ran it at 1920x1200 for a long time. If you want I can post up the modelines for these - monitor modelines should work regardless of card.

Just say and I'll have them for you.

Just Joined!
    I left some space on the drive b/c I also wanted to install SUSE LINUX 9.x and Fedora 3. I haven't tried Fedora yet, but after booting up with the SUSE LINUX mini-install CD and starting the installation, I did run into trouble getting SUSE LINUX 9.x to connect to any ftp server, which was a major disappointment, even though I set the network manually (DHCP wouldn't work for some reason). I'm going to try with a full set of SUSE LINUX 9.3 CDs and see if that works better. It might just be a problem with the yast installer, but I won't know until I actually get it installed down. I think the installer might be having a hard time trying to figure out whether to use the eth0, the b44 lan or eth1 the Intel wireless network device. I didn't find anything in the installer that would let me select one over the other. I suppose I could go into the i9300 bios and turn off the wireless device - maybe I'll try that next.
    Well, turning off the wireless device in the BIOS didn't help at all. I never did manage to get the broadcom ethernet or wireless network to work during the installation, but after installing SUSE LINUX 9.3 (from CD) and rebooting, I was able to get everything working - go figure. I ended up using a generic LCD 1900x1200 value for the monitor, but SUSE LINUX 9.3 did get my graphics card right. As for Fedora Core 3, I think I might just wait for Fedora Core 4 to come out and then try that. Just thought I'd follow up and share my experiences so far with Linux on Dell's Inspiron 9300. Cheers.

Just Joined!
    Well I was able to do a dual-boot with no problem and everything seems to work fine. I had to download and compile wpasupplicant becuase ipw2200 dosen't support it out of the box.

There are a few things that don't work right. I can't seem to get the battery applet to work. It always states that "System is running on battery power 0 minutes (0%) remaining" even when I'm on AC Power. If anybody knows how to fix this it would be great.

Just Joined!

Ubuntu Linux on Dell Inspiron 9300

Hello,

Just installed Ubuntu (Hoary) on a new Dell Inspiron 9300 - dual boot with XP, maintaining the Dell Restore! Thought I might shed some light.

To get passed the frame buffer 'freeze' issue: at the live / install boot: prompt type; 'linux vga=771 noapic nolapic' Enter. Using the DVD for install also helps a bunch!

Before install I used Knoppix Linux Live CD 3.9? (latest), which has 'QTParted' partitioner, allowing you to create and resize partitions without damaging existing data, nice n easy to use!

After install 'google' ubuntu guide! It Rocks! Just like My new Ubuntu Inspiron 9300

Should be useful to someone?!?

Just Joined!
    How exactly did you maintain the Dell Restore?? I haven't attempted this yet, and I'm curious. And... Will later running the Dell Restore then automatically uninstall the boot loader, resize the partition, etc?? If you've tested this out already please let me know...

Roy

Just Joined!
    Those of you having trouble getting your Dell Inspiron 9300 up to the resolution you know the graphics controller and LCD support...

I ran into this problem recently. The X server wouldn't start up at any resolution higher than 1600x1200, because the BIOS incorrectly reported the panel size at that resolution.

Flashing the BIOS up from A02 to A05 fixed that bug, and both the xorg-x11 nv driver and the proprietary nvidia driver now support the maximum resolution of my LCD panel (1920x1200).

Enjoy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2