Find the answer to your Linux question:
i've just received my laptop from Alienware.com. i have a Pentium 4 that runs at 3ghz. An 80GB hard drive and 512MB DDR RAM. i have Fedora Core 3 on ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Will not partition??!!!??

i've just received my laptop from Alienware.com. i have a Pentium 4 that runs at 3ghz. An 80GB hard drive and 512MB DDR RAM. i have Fedora Core 3 on disk that i installed on my Desktop. When i try to install it on my laptop it will not let me partition the hard drive.

The error message talks about not being able to find a primary partition. Windows is already installed on the computer. It doesn't matter weather or not i choose for the new partition to be primary or not, it still comes up with the same error message.

If anyone else had this problem or knows why i might be having this problem let me know what i am doing wrong.

Linux User
    You need to resize the windows partion in order to make the room for another partion. If this is a brand new system the easiest way would be to reinstall windows and only use a part of the disk for the pation.
    Long live the revolution!
    Have a nice day.
    If you want real change vote Libertarian!

Ok, i was wondering about that, on the windows partition it looked like it was using up the entire drive. On my other computer i'd had Windows installed for a while then got Linux, i didn't think that would be a problem. i'll just delete the partition and start it over. i'll post what happens so if anyone unexperienced like me has the problem and searches they can find it here. Wish me luck and thanks for the help!

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    The partition worked but now i have other problems. When the computer is starting Linux it get's stuck on SSHD in the boot up process. It sits forever. Got any ideas?

You could press "i" at startup (usually you have to sit there and hammer the key until "the time is right" for it to work; that will bring up interactive startup, where you can accept or deny all the services at boot one by one. If you successfully boot, you can go into your /etc/rc*.d directory (where * is the number of your runtime, usually 5 by default in Fedora) and remove the symlink to sshd (which is the server daemon for accepting ssh connections, by the way).
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson