Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi, I am interested in installing Linux (replacing existing WinMe) in the following laptop computer: Compaq Armada 1590DT Processor: Pentium (166 MHz) RAM: 80 Mb HDD: 4.3 Gb built in ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Linux on Compaq Armada 1590DT

Hi,

I am interested in installing Linux (replacing existing WinMe) in the following laptop computer:

Compaq Armada 1590DT
    Processor: Pentium (166 MHz)
    RAM: 80 Mb
    HDD: 4.3 Gb
    built in floppy
    built in CD-ROM reader
    PCMCIA modem
    Ethernet via docking station

I looked for info in the internet and google but very little is said. It would be very nice to know about previous experiences, if any you have tried before on such a system, and which problems appeared. My concerns deal basically with the ethernet use via docking station and the bios interaction with Linux.

Thanks

Hernán

Linux Enthusiast
    Damn Small Linux would probably be the best bet for you in this situation. it doesnt need that much ram and is only 50mb in size so it should be good on you computer.

onlinebacon

OK. Thanks. The machine is only intended to be used for internet surfing via ethernet (docking station), chat, word processing and eventual spreadsheet use. Do you have any idea about how will DSL interact with the docking station?

Hernán

Linux Enthusiast
    Nah sorry, I don't have much DSL knowhow, but I guess if you ask the developer then he will be able to help you.

onlinebacon

Just Joined!
    I have just installed gentoo on this exact laptop it runs well, i have xorg installed and am running xfce4, it runs at a resonable speed, but dont expect too much, as far as internet, opera is the way to go its smaller and faster than firefox

So its worth a shot, mind you this installation took over a week as i compiled everything from scratch, if this is overwelming i have heard that slackware is good for older computers and that can be installed easily from cd's just like windows.

OK! Thanks for the info but, since the laptop in question belongs to my wife and I am very newbie I will wait a while until I get some experience in my machines before messing up her laptop.