Find the answer to your Linux question:
i have some drivers for my wireless card, they are Windows drivers but i want to see if they'll work. i've been trying to get Madwifi drivers but haven't found ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Where do drivers go?

i have some drivers for my wireless card, they are Windows drivers but i want to see if they'll work. i've been trying to get Madwifi drivers but haven't found any that work that i am able to download. i can't download from sourceforge.net because i cannot log into the server.

i'm trying to find out where to put the drivers for a wireless 802.11 a/b/g atheros card. i am a newb sorry for the, most likely, simple question.

you could have a look at http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

i've downloaded that, i haven't really taken a look too much, i'll try it though. From what it sounded it seemed it might work. i just need to figure out how to use it.

If anyone can tell me where to put drivers for my wifi card let me know anyway while i try the ndiswrapper.

Thanks

Linux Enthusiast
    Which distribution do you run, because most modern distros do provide MadWiFi drivers, and they do support all Atheros chipsets AFAIK. That's the chipset I use, and have never had any problem with MadWiFi.
    If youre on MDK just try to hit command "urpmi madwifi"

With this said, you will not need NdisWrapper, nor the Windows drivers.

i'm using Fedora Core 3. i still haven't had any success. i'll try running what you said and see what happens.

Madwifi is in Linux...

i found the madwifi files that come with Linux. i've modified the makefile so that it will build for the i386-elf.inc file. This is the Fedora Core 3 architecture, unless i'm wrong. When i type 'make' it exits with 'Error 1'. It exits the hal_ath file or something like that. Got any ideas? If you need the full readout let me know, i have to write it out by hand though then type it. So i don't want to type it unless it's needed. Thanks.

Linux Enthusiast
    Since you're on FC3, why don't you try to find a ready made binary file for your distro. Try with "yum install madwifi" and see if it is not already part of your distro. I believe that my colegue had no problem at all with FC3 and Atheros chipset. Have not used FC3 more than in a server my self.