Find the answer to your Linux question:
I tried installing suse 9.2 pro on my laptop, but it doesn't work. The computer always shuts down after about 20 mins. I tried changing the battery, running on the ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can't install Suse on compaq n610c

I tried installing suse 9.2 pro on my laptop, but it doesn't work. The computer always shuts down after about 20 mins. I tried changing the battery, running on the psu, there's nothing that works..

Linux Engineer
    Is it actually shutting down or is the screensaver kicking in?
    Registered Linux user #384279
    Vector Linux SOHO 7

Just Joined!
    it shuts down, and the battery led starts flashing. But I tried without the battery, running on the psu, and it does the same thing

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    we have resolved the problem it was simply to switch from ext2 to ext3 and the setup finish with out problem! :P

Just Joined!
    Hello!

I have the same problem with the same model of laptop... but the partition was created with a file system = raiser ... unfortunately after 10 or 15 minutes when suse 9.3 pro was installing, suddenly the machine shutdown and the power led is flashing...
    Does anybody have an idea or a possible solution to this problem?

Thanks in advance

Just Joined!
    Are you sure that it's not just an issue of the laptop overheating? I attempted to upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2 last week and got about 20 minutes into the update when the laptop shutdown. I realized that the fan wasn't running and the laptop was hot!!!!

I'm about to do the upgrade again (after recovering from backups) and I've set the BIOS to run the fan when on power and will boot with acpi disabled so that the fan will run all the time and hopefully no more shutdown due to overheating.

Just Joined!
    Following my own advice I've sucessfully upgraded to SuSE 9.2 Pro on my Laptop. It seems stable (touch wood) and I'm doing some stress tests to make sure that things like acpi do the right thing (it does). It would also appear that a number of the bugs that had irritated me in 9.1 have been fixed (in particular, issues I had with DHCP and not updating DNS with the host name).

I'm happy