Find the answer to your Linux question:
Using a Compaq Presario M2000 (M2045AP) which has a built-in SD/MMC card reader and as yet after using Mandriva, Fedora Core3, SuSE pro 9.2 and Xandros distro's i am not ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compaq Presario M2000 built-in card reader

Using a Compaq Presario M2000 (M2045AP) which has a built-in SD/MMC card reader and as yet after using Mandriva, Fedora Core3, SuSE pro 9.2 and Xandros distro's i am not able to get this card reader to work. Can anyone shed some light on this for me as it is the one thing stopping me from jumping permanently over to linux on this laptop

thanks in anticipationjavascript:emoticon('')
    Laughing

Just Joined!
    Due to current licensing concerns, there is no SD/MMC driver support included in the kernel.

If you can provide me with the manufacturer of the card reader, then perhaps we can find you a kernel patch that you can compile in to get your internal card reader support.

Just Joined!
    Well that really blows chunks...

I have a HP zd8060 with a reader built in. I would have liked to get it working in SuSE, but I guess not.

I have found that a usb cardreader works quite well though. Transfers between laptop and desktop are a breeze.

Just Joined!
    What is the manufacturer of the card reader itself?

Depending on the manufacturer, you may be able to use a third party driver to get the internal card reader to work.

As you are using SuSE, go into Yast, select Hardware Information, and look for the card reader. If you get me all information about the card reader, you MAY be able to use the internal one.

Just Joined!
    Thanks for any help you can give me projectle..

As far as I can tell, the reader is listed as a "Hewlett-Packard Company Generic system peripheral" and "Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown mass storage controller" .This is listed in yast under both storage media and PCI respectively.

I'll supply any other info you may need... Thanx

Just Joined!
    What is the manufacturer of the card reader itself?

Depending on the manufacturer, you may be able to use a third party driver to get the internal card reader to work.

As you are using SuSE, go into Yast, select Hardware Information, and look for the card reader. If you get me all information about the card reader, you MAY be able to use the internal one.

Just Joined!
    Oops, sorry about that. It looks like it's made by Texas Instruments.

I should have looked more closely.

Just Joined!
    Hi, anyone has had any luck with the card reader from compaq? I have a compaq M2013AP laptop and the SD card reader is not recognized by the system.
    Here is the output I get from lspci:
    Code:
    0000:02:09.3 Unknown mass storage controller: Texas Instruments: Unknown device 8033
            Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080
            Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
            Capabilities: [44] Power Management version 2

0000:02:09.4 Class 0805: Texas Instruments: Unknown device 8034
            Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company: Unknown device 3080
            Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
            Capabilities: [80] Power Management version 2
    This is a Texas Instruments multi-card reader, and is PCI. Anyone has any pointers for any drivers etc? I have checked http://projects.drzeus.cx/wbsd/ and they say that there is no driver for this PCI card reader for linux.