Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi there When I was a Windows user, I set my desktop to expand the working area to another monitor, so I could have a 'big' desktop with two monitors ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Expanding working area to an external monitor

Hi there

When I was a Windows user, I set my desktop to expand the working area to another monitor, so I could have a 'big' desktop with two monitors (external and the laptop).

How can I make it with Linux? I just can get the same desktop at the two monitors.

Thanx in advance
    António (PT)

Just Joined!
    i remember doing the same thing once in windows, and playing around a bit with it. it was fun. i've never tried it in linux though, since it's no use to me.

BUT
    keep checking back mate, I'll have a go at getting this to work in linux and update this post with my progress tomorrow at some point

Linux Guru
    I think you want to look at xinerama which is an extension to X windows...
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Linux Guru
    You'll find some information on xinerama here.
    /IMHO
    //got nothin'
    ///this use to look better

Just Joined!
    ok, ive spent a few days messing with xinerama. i havent achieved much of anything to be honest. since I do actually have things to do, im afraid ill have to leave it at that. i imagine if you knew exactly what you were trying to achieve (your final purpose, not just dual monitors for extra space), it must be 1000 times easier.
    anyway sorry i couldnt come up with a guide or any useful advice for you mate...