Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Hi! I want to get a notebook, and although I would prefer a NVIDIA video card I have not could find one notebook with a NVIDIA video card, hp had ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Ati Radeon XPRESS 200M

Hi! I want to get a notebook, and although I would prefer a NVIDIA video card I have not could find one notebook with a NVIDIA video card, hp had one three months ago, but nowdays they donīt have it.

So I want to know, have somebody run glxgears in an ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M with 128MB of internal memory?. how many fps could I get from this video card?

Iīm thinking in a compaq presario R4000 with an athlon 3800+ or 4000+, 1 GB of ram, 80 GB HD.

Thank you

Just Joined!
    Hiya, i am personally a fan of the nvidia range, i have to say that i'm running fedora core 3 and the linux shell script installer worked absolutely fine once i changed x driver config.

my dad's pc got about 1400 on glxgears for comparison his spec is

amd athlon xp 2400
    nvidia geforce fx 5200 128 mb
    640 mb ddr ram (512+12
    fedora core 3 i386

no where near as good as my pc though spec also below

amd althon 64bit 2800
    nvidia geforce 6600GT
    1024 mb (1gb) ddr 400 ram
    currently xp as i still need to test my games on a dual boot once i have it setup

Just Joined!
    I just bought an R4000 and now I'm returning it. Ubuntu with the 2.6.11 kernel has the right graphics drivers (kernel module radeon, X driver "ati") and.... they lock up almost immediately on startup. Even when I turn off ACPI etc. Since it's either the graphics driver or the firmware (version F08 as of when I got it), and both are proprietary, I can't fix it myself. So I'm just giving up and I'm going to get a laptop that someone has reported working. Too bad, this one was a good deal.....

Just Joined!

radeon xpress 200M linux gentoo driver

ok, I can't get the fglrx drivers to work yet. I do not think they support the card (I have an IGP card on a Presario Compaq r4000).

HOWEVER, if you really need to get X up, I did try the "vesa" driver (just put in the Device section as the driver), and it works.

If anyone knows of a way to get any other drivers working for this card, it sure would be a blessing to a lot of people if you could post it here.

Best of luck

Just Joined!

Re: radeon xpress 200M linux gentoo driver

Quote Originally Posted by funtala
    ok, I can't get the fglrx drivers to work yet. I do not think they support the card (I have an IGP card on a Presario Compaq r4000).

HOWEVER, if you really need to get X up, I did try the "vesa" driver (just put in the Device section as the driver), and it works.

If anyone knows of a way to get any other drivers working for this card, it sure would be a blessing to a lot of people if you could post it here.

Best of luck
    First off, If you're not comfortable with compiling/patching a kernel, you're going to have a heck of a time.
    You really need to do a lot of tweaking, but as far as I can tell, the drivers for this only work with a 2.6.10 kernel, and they run poorly.
    I have just gotten these working with DRI, and need to do a lot more testing to figure out what the magic combination is that ATI used to make these awful drivers.
    Feel free to stop by the linux section of zv6000forums.com as there is a good deal of information as well as patches to get you up and running.

Just Joined!

200M on a Turion

So I just bought a 1.6 Ghz Turion laptop (64bit mobile AMD). Its got a 200M XPRESS card. I am runing Gentoo 2.6.11 on it.

Compiling the ati drivers was not hard. The performance is.... bad. I am geting 400fps on glxgears. Everything seems to work fine, and load fine and yet the performance is abismal. Not sure if its the Turion, the 200M or the user to blame.

Just Joined!

Drivers

I just wanted to mention - the ati-drivers I got working were 8.13.4 on 2.6.11-r1

I could not get 8.14 drivers to work, and I could not get 2.6.12 kernels to work (tried r6 and r7).

My system is gentoo, btw. I tried to keep it as vanilla as possible, but I had to unmask both the kernel and the drivers. For now I blame the weak 64bit support accorss the industry.

Linux User
    i would suggest loooking for a go-6600 nvidia

Just Joined!
    I just bought an R4000 and now I'm returning it. Ubuntu with the 2.6.11 kernel has the right graphics drivers (kernel module radeon, X driver "ati") and.... they lock up almost immediately on startup. Even when I turn off ACPI etc. Since it's either the graphics driver or the firmware (version F08 as of when I got it), and both are proprietary, I can't fix it myself. So I'm just giving up and I'm going to get a laptop that someone has reported working. Too bad, this one was a good deal.....
    Man i hope this isnt too latee... I have the same laptop and i figured out the problem!
    you have to disable the framebuffer! (i'm on Fedora Core 4, and have Debian duel booted on the R4000) for debian(woody) (at the install prompt) you enter in: linux 'video=vga16:off'
    for sarge, i can't remember it off hand... and with Fedora Core 4, you enter in "nofb"

hey guys, ive got the same graphics card in my lappy.

but how do you get the framebuffer working?

i compiled the radeonfb option as both inbuilt then later as a module, and neither of them work.

EDIT=with gentoo.
    help appreciated
    -weed
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast