Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi there, I have recently downloded fedora core and want to install it on my laptop, (im totally new to linux/fedora), now I tried using a cd with iso image ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installation issue

Hi there,

I have recently downloded fedora core and want to install it on my laptop,
    (im totally new to linux/fedora), now I tried using a cd with iso image and a cd with the files to begin install, during bootup the laptop looks into the cd but does not boot from it nor does my base unit.. could you guide please ? I have not made anychanges to the cd's and im trying to boot from the disk one of core.

many thanks

Pari

Did you burn the ISO files as disk images or just put the files on the disks? If you didn't burn them as disk images, they will not work.
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    hi and thanks for the quick reply ..
    I have tried both the ways, 1st burned the iso image and tried installing from that but it didnt work, extracted the files from the image and burned them on a disk tried using that .. no good.

any ideas ?

Did you check the MD5 sum of the image?
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

And I'm still not quite clear on what you mean about how you burned the ISO file to the disk. If you created a data cd and put the ISO file on it, the cd will not work. You MUST burn the file as a cd image. What burning software did you use?

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Im also little unclear about what is to be done here, please allow me to elaborate.
    I have tried 2 ways -

1st
    I burned the iso image (the one file, as it is after downloading). that did not start the install.
    software used was xp's buit n burning utility

2nd
    I extracted the files from the iso image using deamon tool, then burned all those files to a cd, again using xp built in utility. Even that did not start the installation.

I hope this make clear what I have tried. Thanks.

That explains why it didn't work. You never burned the file as a CD image. Extracting the files from the ISO won't make the CD bootable, and putting the ISO file on a CD won't work either. You need to burn the ISO file as a CD image. What burning software are you using? I know that Nero has an option for this, as does K3B; it's been a while, but I'm pretty sure Roxio's stuff has the option as well.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    aahaan ... I see, now I know what ive been doing wrong, thanks, well im burning a disk image. Im doing so from the ISO image, hope thats the right way to go or do i need to extract the file and then burn them as a disk image ?

Linux Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by pari
    aahaan ... I see, now I know what ive been doing wrong, thanks, well im burning a disk image. Im doing so from the ISO image, hope thats the right way to go or do i need to extract the file and then burn them as a disk image ?
    You just burn the ISO image, and off you go, installing your brand new Linux . Have fun!
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!
    Hi borromini, I have already tried simply burning the iso image and using that cd to install "my brand new Linux" but that didnt work, the system looked into the cd and moved on to loading windows on the laptop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast