Find the answer to your Linux question:
I recently bought a laptop based on the Asus Z71V platform. It has a PCI-E GeForce Go 6600 NVidia card. I discovered to my dismay that many games become completely ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

3D games unplayable when fan kicks into high gear

I recently bought a laptop based on the Asus Z71V platform. It has a PCI-E GeForce Go 6600 NVidia card. I discovered to my dismay that many games become completely unplayable when the fan kicks in (the game slows to a jerky crawl, and sometimes completely freezes for several seconds). The CPU seems pretty cool though according to "acpi -V" (only a few degrees hotter than at idle). This laptop has 2 fans, and I think the one that correlates with the problem is the graphics card fan. Is there thermal throttling with the NVidia GPUs? Or am I experiencing some driver bug? Thanks for any information on this issue. I'd really like to hear other accounts of having or not having this problem with NVidia cards on laptops. Cheers!
    Josh Green

Re: 3D games unplayable when fan kicks into high gear

Quote Originally Posted by jgreen
    This laptop has 2 fans, and I think the one that correlates with the problem is the graphics card fan. Is there thermal throttling with the NVidia GPUs?
    I've had no trouble with Nvidia cards, and I've owned a number of them in the past. I'd say more than likely the problem is with the way your laptop handles 3D acceleration, not the card itself. Laptops were never meant to be game machines IMO.
    Registered Linux user #270181
    TechieMoe's Tech Rants