Find the answer to your Linux question:
first the laptop asus l7300 p2 266 wish i could find the 500 mhz upgrade module 168 megs ram 10 gig drive so far almost any live cd i try ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

asus l7300 defies almost any disto i try

first the laptop asus l7300 p2 266 wish i could find the 500 mhz upgrade module
    168 megs ram 10 gig drive

so far almost any live cd i try and use locks up
    fail safe sorta works on some of them

Linux Enthusiast
    I dont undersand what you mean, first say:

-What liveCDs yo have used
    -What actually happens ( loks up but with more info- error messages etc)
    -How it peforms before it locks up

And I might be able to help you

I'll keep a look out for you for that expansion thingy, but I dont think you have given the right model number, please make sure what it is, then I wil have a look for you

Thanks

onlinebacon

Just Joined!
    oddly enough my original post had a few distro's listed that i tried..
    but i deleted them for some reason

and that is the correct model number for the asus laptop there are otehr classes of the laptop like c, d, e, ect

with the curent system board thats in it it has the capacity to max out with a 500 mhz p2 processor card .. some wierd asus proprietary processor card setup so you can "upgrade" the laptop later on... if you can find the cards lol

anyways on to the nix's

tried and failed flavors these all lock up or just never finish loading to memory
    knoppix live cd
    knoppix std <security tools distro> it will load on failsafe mode..
    but with out pcmcia/wireless support its kinda useless for me
    i have tried it useing various seletive no load options like no pcmcia/apm ect ect so far no combo of anything i can think of will let it load only the falsafe mode with like 0 anything support loads and runs

berry
    puppy for some reason sez it runs out of memory so it never finishes loading to ram ..
    phlack . i think thats how its spelled... some kinda network / wireless security testing type of distro .. it will load to gui.. then lock

one was called.. uh kanottix? i forget the actual name..
    and a few others.. that i fail to recall the names
    all live cd's

as far as some that i have been able to get working

warlinux will load fine .. but due to my lack of experience with nix currently.. i don't know alot of the command prompt stuff.. its kinda not very useful to me

slax will load and work fine
    need to find my feather and a few other cd's i have floating around here i made to try out on my in car computer system

oh and sorry about my crappy typing..

Just Joined!
    oh and the lockups produce no error messages except for the puppy one that tells me it was unable to finish loading files into ram and drops me to a login/password prompt

Linux Enthusiast
    right,

i think it might be something to do with the lackof memory and processor speed, what WM are you using, try using something lightweight like fluxbox, and say what happnes

onlinebacon