Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I'm not a complete newbie to linux, in fact, I have used linux for over 5 years now, but I've had this dilemma lately... I recently got a Dell ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Keyboard Mouse?

Hello,
    I'm not a complete newbie to linux, in fact, I have used linux for over 5 years now, but I've had this dilemma lately...

I recently got a Dell Laptop D600, and I don't really like either of the mouse things - touchpad or pointer thing. But I don't want to use a USB mouse because I don't want to carry an extra mouse around on business trips, on airplanes, etc.

I want to map my mouse events onto the keyboard, but I can't quite figure out how. I've tried to explore gpm and xmodmap but I don't think those offer the capabilities. Can somebody tell me how I can like, press the left Windows-button, and turn that into a mouse click, so I can like surf the net with just my keyboard?

Thanks!

Oh, my profession is Unix network admin I don't do much with XFree86

hmm, I'm not very sure, but you may want to have a look at linEAK which is a program that lets you configure buttons on your keyboard to do things.

dylunio
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Linux Engineer
    [sether's_bias]
    You might want to check out ratpoison, a window manager that's designed to be controlled completely by the keyboard. There are a few other window managers that are keyboard driven as well.
    [/sether's_bias]

Browsing the web is a bit difficult with the mouse however, but I've found a few ways to cope.
    * Use a browser that's keyboard friendly. Here are a few. I prefer w3m or elinks most of the time.
    * If you need to use Mozilla/Firefox, there are a few ways to deal with this. Try using numberedlinks which will allow you to type a number that corresponds to a link on the current page. You can also just go to the link the old-school way with Tab and Shift+Tab. Press enter to go to the link, Ctrl+enter to open the link in a new tab. Use / to find keywords on the current page. Use Alt+LeftArrow to go back in browsing history. There's probably a million other keybindings, but these are the basic ones.

If you have any other questions about using the keyboard to do everything I might be able to help since it's been my unofficial mission to accomplish this on my computer.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks! I'll try that once I get home and get some spare time on my hands