Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi everyone, this is my first post. I am a complete newbie to linux, and very happily i had gotten the last version of mandrake 10.1. yet i cannot get ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

SiS 760 or 661mx graphic driver

hi everyone, this is my first post. I am a complete newbie to linux, and very happily i had gotten the last version of mandrake 10.1.

yet i cannot get into a graphic setting kde, nor play anyfiles that have anything to do with graphics due to my drivers i suppose. i got an amd 2800+ sempron with integ rated graphics agp and when using windows the graphic driver i'm told is SiS 760 or 661mx. the option does not appear in the mandrake setup to select, what should i do????????????

by the way this would be an averatec 6110 we are talking about.

any info u need please ask, im desperate!
    i am stuck

Just Joined!
    Hey, I've got one of those very same machines... If it's the 6100 "a" series... or the AV6110-EH1 in prticular.

Yes, it does have a SIS 760 gpu... SIS is *not* the most forthcoming company out there as far as sharing thier specs with the open-source world, so there are no drivers with native acceleration. I don't know what they are scared of, as thier gpu's are certainly no record-breakers. Prolly some non-disclosure or another companies proprietary code that holds them back, similar to ATI & NVidia.

You'll have to stick with one of the generic VESA drivers. You'll probably not get 3D acceleration working on this card in the near future...

This is *not* meant to be as discouraging as it sounds... there is work being done. See:

http://www.winischhofer.at/linuxsisvga.shtml

and:

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/FrontPage

There are other linux-related problems with this machine, such as the USB and PCMCIA chipsets, as well as the wireless network connection (which is mini-pci and in effect uses an internal pcmcia slot)

People have had some amount of success with a useable linux install on other various Averatec laptops. However, Linux has yet to catch up with the hardware on this unit.