Find the answer to your Linux question:
dear all, I am currently trying to put Linux on a very old laptop - (remember the Toshiba satellite110cs about 10 years ago?) Intel Pentium(TM) 100MHz 8MB RAM 772MB HDD ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Ancient, Empty Toshiba Satellite 110cs wont recognise my CD

dear all, I am currently trying to put Linux on a very old laptop - (remember the Toshiba satellite110cs about 10 years ago?)
    Intel Pentium(TM) 100MHz
    8MB RAM
    772MB HDD
    it originally came with windows 95 but is now completely wiped. Even dos. It has a floppy which it can boot from and I have a cdrom which attaches through one of its 2 pcmcia slots but these aren’t recognised and I have no driver for the cd. My first step is to get some kind of system on it (via floppy) which will then recognise my cdrom. From there I have a few distros on cd and I can upgrade. I've tried bootdisk.com and downloaded a few boot disks but they all assume I have either a system to rescue or a cdrom which they wont recognise. Many look for scsi cd’s but none find my PCMCIA cdrom. Well, I have a normal desktop system running suse 9.2 so its an extra project really but I have nothing resembling a network. Any pointers as to which direction I should go? I've looked for, and be happy to buy, an entire distro on floppy (which would have been the norm when the computer was new) but cant find any that read my cd! Any ideas? Thanks in advance. P

Just Joined!
    i have the same laptop i believe

mine is a toshiba satellite 110cs with 16mb ram and just over 700mb hdd

now i was thinking of trying to get linux on mine, and i do have the floppy that installs the driver for the cd so have the cd drive working, now if i put the windows 95 disk in i can install it fine but i cannot get it to install my copy of xubuntu from cd as it doesnt recognise any of the files on it

i cannot get it to boot from cd, (was that even possible back then ) i cannot access any form of bios

i am a total newb when it comes to laptops as i have only ever worked with desktops in the past

if you know of a way for me to get this installed i would be mucho appreciated and also if you know how i would gladly share this driver on the floppy

the floppy label reads pcmcia cd-rom/cd-r/cd-rw device driver v4.0

i have managed to access the bios on it and booting from cd is not an option (how we take things for granted nowadays eh) so am currently researching a floppy that i can boot from to tell it to look at the cd
    Last edited by mad chey; 05-23-2007 at 01:43 PM. Reason: update