Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a laptop that requires a 24Vdc PSU (strange I know) it has no battery fitted. Does anybody know if I could connect two of the +12V connectors together ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Laptop PSU query

I have a laptop that requires a 24Vdc PSU (strange I know) it has no battery fitted. Does anybody know if I could connect two of the +12V connectors together in series from an ATX PSU to achieve this and would it still work with no battery fitted?
    Any help would be much appreciated.

Just Joined!
    It is possible however i would be VERY carefull.

Remember that the ground (black wire) is probably connected to the ATX casing. You would have to use two separate ATX PSU, and if the chassis touch you may see some interesting sparks and smoke. Also you have to take into account the current that the ATX can deliver, which is probably way more than the laptop battery, if you get any shorts you may once again have interesting smoke and sparks (this time on your laptop).

Personally if i was going to do it I would test it rather well before putting it on the laptop. If your knowledge of electronics is a bit dodgy, I would advise not doing it. Unless you don't mind smoking your laptop

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the info I wouldnt have used two PSUs you have probably just saved me a fortune