Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a Powerbook G3 and need to know what Distro of Linux to install on it. Its 400MHZ/1MB Cache 64MB or Ram 6GB Hard Disk DVD. Any suggestions?...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Linux Newbie

Recommendation for Macintosh Powerbook G3

I have a Powerbook G3 and need to know what Distro of Linux to install on it. Its 400MHZ/1MB Cache
    64MB or Ram
    6GB Hard Disk
    DVD.

Any suggestions?
    Registered user #372186 -- http://counter.li.org

Both Gentoo and Debian will work iirc. Since you use Gentoo at the moment you might want to use that, but if not you can always try Debian.

A couple of other distros are Slackingtosh and LinuxPPC which are no longer being developed iirc.
    Registered Linux User #371543!
    Get force-get May The Source Be With You
    /dev/null
    /dev/null2

Just Joined!
    I would recommand debian sarge too (which works flawlessly on the powerbook and will most likely recognize everything), or stick to gentoo if you managed to get it working the way you want, which is trickier on ppc, as you probably noticed.

However, there are many more: Ubuntu, YDL, Fedora, Mandriva... Ubuntu is sort-of debian though not as "pure", most of the others are rpm-based (can't help there, I'm allergic to rpms for some reason).

Debian and Gentoo still are the best imho (debian for of tons binary packages, autodetection of hardware, etc, and gentoo to get your hands dirty, learn tons about gnu/linux, or try the latest packages from source and break your system).

Have a look at http://www.penguinppc.org for a list (on the right), and other infos.

If Gentoo is working for you now, you should stick with it. If not, Debian will work along with a host of others. Ultimately, my recommendation is to stick with Gentoo.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Linux Newbie
    Thanks guys. Got Gentoo running excellent on the MAC.
    Registered user #372186 -- http://counter.li.org

As a recent owner of a powerbook g3, I want to also add that it depends on which one you got. Pre-1998, often referred to as a Wallstreet, are classified as "Old World" and it seems that you have to keep a MacOS partition, use a bootloader and then install gnu/linux. They also don't allow you to boot directly from CD.

Any G3 after 1993, Pismo, Lombards, for example, and G4 and the like are "New World" and should be easy to get any of those recommended distros on it.

I have an "Old World" G3, so I haven't bothered with the hassle of reformatting and messing with all this, so I am stuck with MacOS 9.2.2:( But, I can at least ssh into my server and get my gnu/linux fix there:)
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Just Joined!
    Pre-1998 vs. Post-1993?
    Frank