Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey everone. I got a Pavilion ZE2108EA Version laptop (2000 series) You can find hardware details in this link http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/nl/nl...-12150160.html I'm running Mandrivia LE 2005 and got some pachages from ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Anyone with a HP Pavilion ZE2000 Series Laptop

Hey everone.
    I got a Pavilion ZE2108EA Version laptop (2000 series)
    You can find hardware details in this link
    http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/nl/nl...-12150160.html

I'm running Mandrivia LE 2005 and got some pachages from the Contrib dvd installed.

I have 3 problems.

No.1.
    Can't get my card reader to work. And can't find some good hardware specs on it.
    Alltough linux tels me this:

Texas Instruments

Texas Instruments PCI6411, PCI6421, PCI6611, PCI6621, PCI7411, PCI7421, PCI7611, PCI7621 Secure Digital (SD) Controler

Media Class: Not Defined

No.2
    Wireless drivers.
    I tryed the drivers from this page http://www.langerland.de/linux/bcm94306/
    But when trying to load the modules my system freezes up completely.
    I tryed finding the inf files from Window$ but it doesnt load them.

No.3
    Dual head support.
    The graphics card supports dual head but linux only finds my Laptop monitor and the external monitor connector. It does'nt find the DVI port as output.

So if anyone has this type of laptop and got some of the things running please contact me tru this forum or by mail.

So i can write a howto on it for the linux on laptop project.

Thanks in advance.

Just Joined!

HP ze2117us here.

Funny thing. As soon as it came out of the box, off came Window$. Then went to run a dual boot for admin reasons, and now Window$ image that came from HP wont recognize wireless button. I am using FD4. Previously FD3, until I tried ATI drivers from livna repo. Didnt work. So neither the wireless card nor the advanced drivers for screen work. Currently using vesa drivers. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. I am thinking about opening a wiki on this issue to see where I get. I also plan to try ndiswrapper. I will be posting on what happens with that.

Just Joined!

HP ze2000

Can't help on problem 1. Tried enabling any "exotic funny stuff that could even remotly look like that" into the kernel but no luck.

Got wireless working using ndiswrapper.

Same problem for dual head but haven't tried too hard really.

I have a 4th issue btw. Time is going too fast. 3 seconds pass for like 1 real second. I highly suspect processor stepping so I am trying right now to recompile without it... Will keep you posted.

Just Joined!
    Got dual head video

see here:
    http://www.rage3d.com/content/articl...00000000000000

Wasn't really easy

I tried to get the Digital media thing to work using ndiswrapper, got a "driver present hardware present" that looked cool but it failed to load because driver is not 64 bits. Honnestly, I don't feel like recompiling a 32 bit kernel just to crash my box with ndiswrapper so I will pass on that.

I still got the time issue though and it piss me of not being able to understand what s wrong.

I started being suspicious at processor stepping but removing it doesn t change anything, then ACPI but I had to rule it out as well...

For ATI video card, I had to use a 2.6.12.6 kernel, because of a recent patch 2.6.14.X doesn't work "right out of the box", you need to patch in order to add 2 functions that just go removed:
    http://www.mail-archive.com/debian-a.../msg13971.html

According to nvidia installer, TV out should work (haven't tested...), so basically, I am stucked with this "time going too fast" issue, digital media reader and exotic buttons for volume or special keys like "Function+F3" for starting a browser...

Just Joined!
    I'm using a Pavilion laptop from the same ze2000 series. I just got it yesterday and had the same time too fast issue. Adding the noapic kernel option fixes it.

Just Joined!

no_timer_check=0

Just foud a post with another fix:

"no_timer_check=0"

Cool part is that you keep power managment working. There is an open bug on the kernel btw.

All laptop users here should check out http://www.linux-laptop.net/

This will give you info about installing Linux (and configuring) for various brands and makes of laptops.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!

help:linux newbie

i own an HP pavilion ze2000 and i need help configuring wi-fi for Fedora Core 3 if anyone knows anything about that

Just Joined!

Angry Same Old Problem

This is one of the few problems with Linux, the lack of drivers. Companies develop their hardware for WIN32 or occasionally Macs which leaves people like use on message boards trying to find obscure drivers or trying to make generic ones work.

I also have a ze2000, running FC5. With the last two kernel updates from Fedora, Linux has recognized my wireless card and attempts to connect with it except for this little button we've talking about. It turns the antenna on and off. I have not yet found anything to make it work although I am working on it. It depends though on how much of is function is hardware or software because I don't feel like reverse engineering and then porting a HP driver. If it is hardware, it should be a snap... i think.

Also regarding the other problems, update to the most recent version of your distro and run the update feature of it. With the most recent kernel, drivers, and software, you may have better luck.
    Note: I have tried OpenSuse and Slackware without any success.

Quote Originally Posted by bragr
    I also have a ze2000, running FC5. With the last two kernel updates from Fedora, Linux has recognized my wireless card and attempts to connect with it except for this little button we've talking about. It turns the antenna on and off. I have not yet found anything to make it work although I am working on it. It depends though on how much of is function is hardware or software because I don't feel like reverse engineering and then porting a HP driver. If it is hardware, it should be a snap... i think.
    I have a HP zv5000, so I've probably got the same wireless card in here that you have there. It'll be a broadcom 43xx type card. These are easy to get going, but you need a bit of patience.

Get hold of the windows drivers - you want the uncompressed drivers (you can use the cabextract tool, but I just did a google search, and eventually found them). Then you extract the broadcom firmware from the windows driver package with the bcm43xx-fwcutter tool, which should be in your package manager (I got it from Fedora Extras for my new spanking FC6 install). You just run that, and dump all the .fw files into /lib/firmware. You will need a line in /etc/modprobe.conf that says 'alias <net_interface> bcm43xx' (where <net_interface> is your network card name, e.g. wlan0 or eth1, or whatever) - but that may well have been added already when you tried to set the interface up in the first place. Then you restart your networking and it should all just come up. Of course, if you're using WPA-PSK encryption on the wireless network (and you really should be) then it's actually pretty simple to set up wpa_supplicant to handle this side of things. But if you need a hand with that, just gizza shout.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast