Find the answer to your Linux question:
(Sorry for posting this in the hardware forum, I should have put it here first.) Hi Guys, I am fairly new to Linux, so please forgive me if this is ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linus Distro for Compaq Armada 1592 DMT

(Sorry for posting this in the hardware forum, I should have put it here first.)

Hi Guys,

I am fairly new to Linux, so please forgive me if this is an easy one....

I have a old Compaq latop that I have been trying to install Linux on for a few weeks now. If anyone has any recommendations on distros, I am willing to try them out. The laptop is an:

Armada 1592 DMT
    Pentium Processor
    3 GB hard drive
    (Not sure of the RAM, although it does reference 49152KB on startup)
    It currently has no operating system and I have not been successful in getting into the BIOS to check the settings. Below are the distros I've tried and what has happened...

Mandrake 10.2
    Tried to install this version and it froze on the GUI setup. I restarted and tried the text version of the install and it installed successfully, but on boot up I got the error "Kernel Panic: No INIT found. Try passing INIT=option to kernel."

Slackware
    Got halfway through the install when I received the same error as above: "Kernel Panic: No INIT found. Try passing INIT=option to kernel."

DSL
    I was able to get the live CD to work and run, so I had high hopes for this one. I tried installing this distro, but it stopped installing (I could not read the error because the wording was at the bottom of the laptop screen and the words were cut off.)

Linspire
    I could also get the live CD to work on this one. When I tried installing the distro, it froze during the GUI install (I left it on overnight just to make sure.)

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could do here, or what Distro I should use? I originally was excited about Linux becuase of it's capability to run on relatively older computers. Please don't make me install Windows 98 on it!! Thanks for your help.

Have you tried VectorLinux? One of its claims to fame is that it works well on older hardware, and version 5.1 just came out ftp://ftp.nluug.nl/pub/os/Linux/dist...VL-5.1-std.iso
    There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence.

- Jeremy S. Anderson

Just Joined!
    Thanks for the link and info, Flatline. I will try Vector over the weekend and post my results.
    --Jeff

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!
    Thanks Flatline! VectorLinux installed without a problem and worked like a charm! I appreciate the help.
    --Jeff