Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey can anyone recommend a good laptop especially for programming use. The things to consider I guess the resolution. So basically I would like to know which resolution all of ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

laptop for linux and programming

Hey can anyone recommend a good laptop especially for programming use. The things to consider I guess the resolution. So basically I would like to know which resolution all of you program in (if you're programming).

Just Joined!
    If this helps, I currently use Linux on a Fujitsu LifeBook B142 Series. The only help I can offer is that this Laptop will run such things as Windows XP (which I have successfully put on the thing in the past AND was able to run other applications as well), even though it may not be designed for it. If you are looking for different hardware not normally seen, the B142 has a touchpanel on it (which was identified during Linux' setup, but was not able to be used afterward). Again I am not sure what information you are looking for, but I hope this helps.

Just Joined!
    Basically I dont know if resolution on the laptop such as 1400x something is too much for eyes. I wanna have a lot of space on my screen but at the same time I dont want my eyes hurting.

I have a 1920x1200 resolution and find it far too small. 1680x1050 is small, but still useable. Check out the Dell Inspiron 8xxx/9xxx and some of the HP PAvillion series for these resolutions if it sounds good for you.

I'm using a Dell Inspiron 8200. I'm not actually on it right now and I can't remember what resolution it's at but I think it's 1200x1600. Whatever it is, I've had no trouble using Sun's JavaStudio or whatever they're calling it now.

What do you plan on programming?
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?

Linux Newbie
    I currently use Linux on my Dell Laptop D505 with resolution 1400x1050, with bytecode interpretation enabled in freetype, with 96dpi screen resolution, with Tahoma fonts for menu and window decorations, and at the moment I achieved the better look and feel than i ever had in Windows.

My colleague uses linux on HP Omnibook, generally, there are always minor (or major) problems getting linux working on laptop. WinModem was one of the them in the near past, but for now WinModems support is ok for linux. The second is that for modern intel chipsets in most Dell Laptops you can't get 1400x1050 resolution. But there are patches available on the web (http://www.chzsoft.com.ar/855patch.html). And by default BIOS allocates 8MB VideoRam, but there also patches available that will allow you to set desired VideoRam at boot time (say 64MB for intel855GM). I also made my "Fn" button working properly, and volume up/down mute/unmute functions are available. This is achieved by setting correct keyboard type (Dell Inspiron 8xxx compatible), or by installing special tools which are available for Toshiba and IBM Thinkpad laptops.

I use Kate and NetBeans for development, and I like the way they look under 1400x1050 resolution. I don't like when large code wraps because of low resolution and becomes unreadable. And note that, though your Laptop will supprt 1024x768, 1280x1024 or even 800x600 it will look best only in that resolution for which it's LCD is intended for (means for the highest resolution it can support).

Just Joined!
    I am programming Java on my Toshiba Dynabook SS/LX 190 (Japan model, maybe the corresponding US model is Portege S100). Its resolution is set to 1400x1050. I think it is comfortable for my eyes, and there is enough space to display enough source codes in many IDEs.