Find the answer to your Linux question:
I have a HP Pavilion zv5474EA laptop with Ubuntu Hoary (and an Nvidia GO graphics card) When my display blanks using the DPMS timeouts (or manually with xset), the backlight ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Backlight stays on on DPMS

I have a HP Pavilion zv5474EA laptop with Ubuntu Hoary (and an Nvidia GO graphics card)

When my display blanks using the DPMS timeouts (or manually with xset), the backlight stays on. No matter if the DPMS state is stanby or off.

Any ideas on what is causing this? It's a minor, but annoying problem.

Just Joined!

Pavillion zv5000z - Similar Problem

I have had similar problems on mine. I haven't really looked into a fix for it, but I'm running SUSE 9.3, and all hardware worked right out of the box (except for the Broadcom WiFi, but I now use the Netgear WG511T PCMCIA, and it works great). I have also noticed, that after a bit, the backlight does go off, so maybe you just have to sweat it out for a bit.

BTW, if you decide to use SUSE 9.3 Prof, you either have to have a Dual-Layer DVD Burner (8GB DL - Provides both 32 & 64-bit Archs) or use the Network Install CD. The only other DVD available is the 9.3-Eval.

Have fun.

PS - If you decide to use the Network Install, use mirrors.kernel.org It has the fastest connection, and all the packages.

Just Joined!

Re: Pavillion zv5000z - Similar Problem

Quote Originally Posted by tithefug
    I have had similar problems on mine. I haven't really looked into a fix for it, but I'm running SUSE 9.3, and all hardware worked right out of the box (except for the Broadcom WiFi, but I now use the Netgear WG511T PCMCIA, and it works great). I have also noticed, that after a bit, the backlight does go off, so maybe you just have to sweat it out for a bit.

BTW, if you decide to use SUSE 9.3 Prof, you either have to have a Dual-Layer DVD Burner (8GB DL - Provides both 32 & 64-bit Archs) or use the Network Install CD. The only other DVD available is the 9.3-Eval.

Have fun.

PS - If you decide to use the Network Install, use mirrors.kernel.org It has the fastest connection, and all the packages.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll stick with Ubuntu, but maybe the newer kernel will fix it. I read somewhere that it could be either that, or the Nvidia driver.

I'm running 2.6.10 BTW.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close