Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi I would like to install Linx (RH more probabily) in a daul-boot with WinXP on my Toshiba Satellite 1135-S1553 laptop.. Anyboday has the same experiance with the same laptop? ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux on Toshiba Satellite

Hi

I would like to install Linx (RH more probabily) in a daul-boot with WinXP on my Toshiba Satellite 1135-S1553 laptop..

Anyboday has the same experiance with the same laptop?
    Any problem that you have faced?

And most important where can I find linux drivers for the laptop? (Couldn't find them on Toshiba website)

TIA..

Toshiba doesn't support linux. I found this out when I contacted tech support on where i can find drivers for my Satellite A60 and Satellite P30. The model you have is similar to my A60, with the exception of the processor (P4 vs Celeron) and hard drive.

However, linux (SuSE) installs perfectly on both of these machines, the only things not working are the card-reader and 56K modem. The only thing I had bit of trouble setting up was the monitor on those laptops, the monitor SuSE kept trying to select wouldn't let me use any resolution over 640x480. However I got around this by choosing a generic lcd monitor driver at the correct resolution (1024x768 for A60 and 1900x1080 for P30).

Also what drivers are you looking for, the nvidia and ati drivers can be downloaded from nvidia or ati's site however there are some sites which may be of interest to you:
    Linux for Toshiba, handy site for detailing people's experiences with toshiba laptops and linux.
    Toshiba Linux Utilities Like the toshiba utilities for windows, I haven't tried it myself as i find the windows utilities kind of irritating.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

I have Sat A10

I have Satellite A10... I installed Suse 9.3 today.. no problems at all... just a few things to be kept in mind 1. Partiton at least 5 GB as ext3
    2. 512MB as swap. it should go on smoothly..... to download suse 9.3 go to this site
    http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=aea0zTYvWN0~[/url]
    hope it helps

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close