Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone and thanks for any help. I'm new to this linux malarky and have just bought a new laptop which I'd like to put both windows and linux on. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Which distribution is best for me? Athlon 64 3200+ 128MB ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemor

Hi everyone and thanks for any help.

I'm new to this linux malarky and have just bought a new laptop which I'd like to put both windows and linux on.

I'm good enough with windows but a complete newbie with linux (I need linux for a couple of specific programs I use and it'd be nice to have them on the move).

so my system is (HP pavilion zv6000)

Athlon 64 3200+
    512MB RAM
    128MB ATI RADEON® XPRESS 200M w/Hypermemory
    54g™ Integ. Broadcom 802.11b/g WLAN & Bluetooth
    60GB HD (which I'll prob put 15 towards linux, this i can do with PM easily enough)

now what distribution will give me the easiest install?

I've used Fedora and know the program i have will run (well it ran on fedora core 2 i assume 4 as well)

The wireless would be lovely but I can sort that out later it's the install plus gfx that I want to make sure is ok.

Also I'm guessing i'll download the 64 bit version of the op (as i think that what it's for, corrct?).

Thanks

Nask

Linux Engineer
    If you're familiar with Fedora Core already, why not just use it?

You probably want to use a major distribution. See distrowatch.com's list of major distributions:
    http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=major

Just Joined!
    I just installed SuSe 10.0 Eval DVD 64 bit which is not a timed eval. It just means you have to download the rest of the software not in disc.

Had to use VESA / APIC=OFF (not acpi=off, you need that on)

I have the exact same laptop as you.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Check out this link for resources about what distro to choose: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-19023.html

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

For Laptops, probably the easiest and most polyvalent distro would be Ubuntu.
    "To express yourself in freedom, you must die to everything of yesterday. From the 'old', you derive security; from the 'new', you gain the flow."

-Bruce Lee

Just Joined!
    I am using a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A1650 with athlon64 3400+ and ATi Xpress 200M with slackware 10.2. Everything is working! But...
    The thing that bothered me the most (probably the only one) is the battery meter. It doesnt work with any kernel version I tried. /proc/acpi/battery gives me nothing. Until I tried the patched kernel of ubuntu 5.10. It works now!
    I wouldn't switch slack for ubuntu, no way! Too much trouble with ubuntu if you dont have an internet connection. Plus i hate breaking packages in 2, packageName and packageName-dev... you can't compile anything, and all the time you have to type "apt-get install this, apt-get install that..."