Find the answer to your Linux question:
Anyone get this to work? I recently discovered the 'Suspend to Disk' option on the kpowersave menu (right-click on the taskbar battery icon). I thought that sounded kind of cool. ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

No 'Suspend to Disk' for me

Anyone get this to work?

I recently discovered the 'Suspend to Disk' option on the kpowersave menu (right-click on the taskbar battery icon). I thought that sounded kind of cool. Save power, don't actually shut down.

No luck. It saves all running tasks, then does one or two operations, such as freeing memory, but then gets an error, something like:

'Can't suspend system' or something like that.

The system actually the pops right back up like it's supposed to but without the interim 'suspend' part. That's nice.

I don't know. I know this feature often fails in Windoze too. Just thought I'd ask.
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    Intel Centrino Duo 2.0GHz
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?

Linux Newbie
    aren't you required to have a "suspend to disk" partition?
    Chicks dig giant mechanized war machines

Suspend partition? is that so? Hmmm... Tell me more.

I also read on some Nvidia document that their driver won't suspend properly on flat panel screens. The doc was from 2001 so I don't know if it still applies, but the error I get is 'could not suspend device 0000:001....' and it goes on for a bit. I only get a quick glimpse of it. The point is, it appears to be having problems suspending a particular device. It could be the Nvida driver.
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------
    The real question is what time is it and why the hell am I still screwing around with my computer?

I found another forum on Nvidia that's talking about this issue. One guy wrote and posted a patch that appears from the following posts to be pretty successful. I haven't tried it yet but I will ASAP and post back the resutls.

Here's the forum:
    Suspend with Nvidia
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------

Linux Newbie
    some particular bios / manufacturer combinations required a dedicated partition for "suspend to disk" operations - IIRC i think cfdisk even has one or two of them listed in it's part types table. IIARC - i don't think it was very big anyways, not more than a hundred megs (or roughly the same amount as the installed RAM), so it wasn't a drain on smaller systems hard drive space.

I've never been able to fully get the laptop dinosaur that i loaded slack on to work with ACPI (Gateway solo 2150v2),so i've never even played with suspend to disk on this beast...sorry i can't help you more.

[but after reading that thread you linked to, i think you may be more in line with that solution, rather than a partition problem - ]
    Chicks dig giant mechanized war machines

I get problems suspending, but I've always seen USB errors, and then it returns to full init. I do have an nVidia card though so I'm sure that's not helping. I think the suspend to disk in SuSE just uses your swap partition, but I'll have to check again.

Just for anyone who looks at this thread in the future, here's my progress.

Applied the patch, and as the author, one haggis.haggis claims it's 'dodgy hacking' but it does work. I can now suspend my system, kind of.

Note to folks who try this, the patch looks for an nVidia package called '...-pkg1.carl' that I for one at least do not have. I had to specify the nv.c file to be patched.

Of course, now I'm having the same problem that many other folks seemed to encounter, that after a suspend and restart, the screen stays dark. Requiring a restart to fix, this basically renders the suspend useless.

But I'm a step closer.
    HP Pavilion dv6000t
    nVidia GeForce Go 7400
    Fedora 10

----------------------