Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Does anyone know anything about the specs of an Acer Aspire 5002 laptop monitor? I've been searcing around the net to figure out how to get my graphics to work ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Acer Aspire

Does anyone know anything about the specs of an Acer Aspire 5002 laptop monitor? I've been searcing around the net to figure out how to get my graphics to work under SuSE server with not much luck. X will just lock everything up after a few seconds and i believe its the lack of monitor specs (the sis driver is supposed to cover my graphics which is SiSM760X). Now, i did install SuSE graphically just fine, so i should hope that their is some way to get X to work.

All i could get from acer website is that its 15.4" WXGA Crystal Brite, 1280 x 800 x 16.7 million colors. But don't i need the frequency rates and such to put in XF86Config?

aptop manufacturer's don't typicially release monitor specs. I called toshiba about it and thir response was we don't support linux. However, I finally got SuSE 9.3 working on my laptop with a generic lcd driver.

I suggest you use the generic 15.4" lcd driver and set the aspect ratio tab to 16:9.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

I dont know how much help this is, but I'll offer it anyway.

I have an HP laptop, and it's monitor would not auto-identify. I use Fedora Core 4, and I used the monitor configuration tool and told it I had a generic LCD monitor with 1200x800 resolution, and it worked fine.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Just Joined!
    any of the generic monitor settings give me some pretty crazy flying collours and lots of blinking when X comes up. And there is no genereic for 1200X800 in here either.

I suggest you use the generic 15.4" lcd driver and set the aspect ratio tab to 16:9.
    what did you use to configure it? I dont have a screen size with the generic LCD options. And i dont have an aspect ratio tab when using SaX2 or xf86config. Did you just edit it by hand and such?

no, i didn't edit it by hand. basicially i told it that i had a 17" widescreen lcd monitor.the place where you choose what kind of monitor you have, there is a checkbox saying 4:3 or 16:9 at the bottom.

once this is done, next page allows you to set the default resolution e.g. 1200x800 or 1920x1080. etc...

Just Joined!
    what program is this in? Do you know how to set that in the XF86Config file directly?

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Reality
    what program is this in? Do you know how to set that in the XF86Config file directly?
    the program is called sax2, it works perfectly for me there. iirc, it is in the monitor setup, then resolution is setup in the graphics component of it. I will post the x.org config file when i am at my laptop (that is if you still have problems).

Just Joined!
    the config file could help, i still cant seem toget this setup.

ok, im still not at my laptop, in sax2 do the following:
    desktop -> monitor -> change configuration -> properties
    here, select lcd. In dropdown boxes on bottom left select 15.4" and 16/9. Select 1280x800 as the display resolution. press ok.

now select graphics card. select your correct graphics card e.g. nvidia geforce4 etc.. press ok...

now goto the colour and resolution menu, hit change -> properties. Under resolution tab, select maximum resolution you can do 1280x800. press ok. then finish.

now back at the original page, after configuring stuff, hit finalize.

Just Joined!
    im going to install the latest SaX2, i think this is only server 9.0 i installed and sax2 definately doesnt have those options in mine.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast