Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hi Folks, I need recommendations for which laptop to buy that will run a good Linux version. I need AMD64 and god graphics. So far, Turion ML series looks very ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux for Turion + ATI laptop

Hi Folks,

I need recommendations for which laptop to buy that will run a good Linux version. I need AMD64 and god graphics. So far, Turion ML series looks very good. Acer Travelmate 4402WLMi is very attractive. It has ML-30, ATI Radeon X200 chipset and X700 graphics. Please let me know which linux I can use.

Or if this wont work, which is the best AMD64 laptop to work linux.

Thanks,
    NRJ

Linux Guru
    Well,most of us here are big AMD fans so we'd all go with your CPU. The problem will be the ATI card. They're not great, or should I say that the drivers for linux aren't great. I've heard they're getting better but to be honest the nVidia driver support is excellent so if there's an nVidia option or an equivalent system with nVidia you may be better off. I should mention it's more with 3D acceleration the issue is, almost any video card will work under linux as a simple Vesa compliant device.

Just Joined!

ATI chipset or the graphics

Hi, Thanks for quick reply.
    So is it the ATI Radeon X200 chipset a problem for linux under AMD64 ??
    Or is it the ATI X700 graphics th does not work well ?

Do you have any recommendation for a turion + nVidia + compatible chipset ?

-NRJ

Linux Guru
    Well I only use nVidia so I'm not sure myself. If it is the same as nVidia in the driver respect the drivers will be provided for both, I can't imagine one would be up to spec and the other not. I've only ever heard complaints about ATI drivers to be honest.

Just Joined!
    So, if I live with ATI chipset and graphics X700 for now.. because nVidia + Turion is not available..
    Please suggest which linux version will be best suited to run on Turion 64.
    Is it Suse 9.1 or debian or RH or something else...

This will save me time in troubleshooting errors.

-NRJ

i would guess that most, if not all distros will work on that laptop in 32 bit mode. However, for 64 bit mode, there can be some problems, there was another post on this forum regarding turion 64 and suse 9.3, the poster finally got the install going only in 32 bit mode and not 64 bit mode.

in conclusion, try a 64 bit distro (suse 9.3 dvd come with both 32 and 64 bit), if it doesn't work, then try a 32 bit distro.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

Turion 64

...did you start your linux on amd turion???
    ...expect to catch a HP NX6125, quietest turion ever seen.
    but most linux-groups tell about problems with turions.
    otherwise found 1 installation, that seems to be bit tricky and tells about "slow running" machine, after install.

i've still to find a turion + nvidia notebook, but i found a centrino + nvidia 6600 for under 700!! i might look at it if there are problems with the turions...

about intel: i read that they rallying for linux on mobile phones so they can't be THAT evil
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

Just Joined!

acer nvidia

...otherwise test the Acer TravelMate 4151LMi nV, about 980

Linux User
    asus just released the A6Km, uses Turion chips and Geforce Go 7300 graphics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast