Find the answer to your Linux question:
I asked a manager at Toshiba Laptops booth at the GITEX IT Expo why they don't have laptops with linux on them or at least they provid us with official ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

This is why no linux for Toshiba laptops!

I asked a manager at Toshiba Laptops booth at the GITEX IT Expo why they don't have laptops with linux on them or at least they provid us with official drivers and leave the rest to us..

He told me that they have signed agreements with M$ that prohibt them from even affording any sort of support to any OS rather than M$ Win.. so they can't even introduce device drivers for Linux!

Just Joined!

No surprises...

It would come as no surprise to anyone in the linux community that MS would strongarm manufacturers into agreements that blocked support for other os's. They also prohibit all OEM's from manufacturing machines with dual-boots.

What makes me curious is the "(Vendor) recommends Microsoft Windows XP Professional" note on EVERY website where computers are sold. Doesn't it seem obvious that if everyone is saying something like that, then they're all being persuaded into doing so? It's like a "Support our Troops" ribbon.

Hail to the chief...

Will

if any more anti-trust cases come up you can apply as a witness against MS, since what they are doing is illegal. i remember the MS Tax being borderline but this is downright ridiculous.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

This is why no linux for Toshiba laptops!

Hi,

I recently got a Toshiba Equium M50-164. I am dual booting Windows XP with SuSE Linux 10 on it and everything is working perfectly well including the display, sound, lan, etc on both the operating systems (I haven't tried to use the modem yet, but it is detected correctly).

So it is not as if the community suffers if Toshiba doesn't help.

Just Joined!

toshiba

i'm using a toshiba satellite and everything i've been looking for has had some solution. the only problem is that i've had is i have to work a little harder to find the solutions.