Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
ok I downloaded the armada utility disk for notebooks and went into the bios to disable ACPI as recommended here http://www.fuschlberger.net/armada/ Next I ran alsaconfig and had it look for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

ok I downloaded the armada utility disk for notebooks and went into the bios to disable ACPI as recommended here http://www.fuschlberger.net/armada/

Next I ran alsaconfig and had it look for the isa legacy devices and specifically had it check for my hardware.

It went through and configured everything then I tried the alsamixer and everything came up and looked great.

The only problem is I'm new to linux and don't know how to test the sound.

I have a CD drive but I'm not sure how to access it with linux.

I ran init 4 and checked the settings control panel and my card showed up.

it looks like everything is working, I just need to figure out how to play a sound file.

Just Joined!
    Got it working.
    Looks like disabpling the ACPI funtion in the BIOS does the trick.
    After that you reboot, login as root, run alsaconfig, run the utility to check for the older hardware, select only the 18xx hardware (anything else and it just locks up), then after pressing yes a bunch of times do alsactl store and reboot.

It's basically just like the standard install guide, you just need to disable ACPI and take the extra steps for serching the ISA Legacy devices.

logged in as a user and launched Grip and the CD started playing.
    Many thanks to you.

See you around the Zenwalk forums.

Linux Engineer
    I hope we will . Congrats! Remember Slackware-based distro's are not the easiest ones to configure (you have to do a lot yourself), but you gain a lot of Linux knowledge, and it'll make you understand the OS better .
    ** Registered Linux User # 393717 and proud of it ** Check out www.zenwalk.org
    ** Zenwalk 2.8 - Xfce 4.4 beta 2- 2.6.17.6 kernel = Slack on steroids! **

Just Joined!

Linux Distro-

I use the same Machine like you, but with only 64 MB of RAM there are three option i think of
    1. Vectorlinux 5.1 or 4.3
    2. DSL 3.4
    3. Win98 the fastest

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2