Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hey, I have an old brick of a laptop, an IBM 380xs 266Mhz 64Mb RAM that I'll only really be using for word processing. Which Linux distro will boot and ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

IBM 380xs: Which distro will run fastest? DSL?

Hey, I have an old brick of a laptop, an IBM 380xs 266Mhz 64Mb RAM that I'll only really be using for word processing. Which Linux distro will boot and run fastest, using the fewest system resources? Is there anything better than DSL?

Linux Enthusiast
    I think DSL is probably the best. Not only because it uses little resources, but also because you can try it out first.

Just Joined!
    I tied DSL. Man it was fast. I would have kept using it, but I need WiFi. If I can figure out more about loading device drivers and such, I may try it again. I wonder if the new MepisLite will be lean enough. I would set up the swapspace on the harddrive first I think before trying anything other than DSL. But even DSL looks for that swap partition on startup. I think you'll need it to anything usefull. It'll be a good experiment Also, check out Puppy Linux, It's small and very quick. But uses Gnome, I think, Making it larger than DSL.