Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi friends, i am a student from india. I am in a confusion.i am looking for a good laptop with linux OS. I am looking in price range of Indian ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

budget laptop

Hi friends,
    i am a student from india.
    I am in a confusion.i am looking for a good laptop with linux OS.
    I am looking in price range of Indian Rupees 25000-45000

Pls suggest which is the best laptop in this range..
    thanks in advance
    anver

Check out http://www.pcretro.com and look at what they have listed...I don't know the exchange rate, but other than finding something on eBay, that is one of the best sites I have seen...
    Join the Open Source Revolution. Support GNU/Linux.

Find me at: www.deeksworld.com
    Registered GNU/Linux User #395777

Just Joined!
    I'm not sure of the exchange rate either, but I've had good fortune with the refurbished Laptops. eBay is a good place to look. Also, Google search "refurbished notebooks" will get you about a gazillion parts houses selling refurbished and "lease turn ins". The Dell Latitudes are built well and run in the $500 range. These are the ones I have personally used. I have tested several distros successfully (Including Slackware). Also, parts are still available for these, in case you need maintenance. I have one with a fried mother board and I have checked, All parts are available and so cheap, that I can repair it cheaper than replace it. Don't see that very often with cheap desktops.

Just Joined!
    I just checked out the exchange rate on Yahoo. It seems you are looking in the $500 range. If you already have a Linux distro you want to use I'm sure you won't have a problem loading it. I recomend a Debian based distro for ease of install. I installed Mepis on one of these and everything just worked. Everything, including my modern 802.11g WiFi card. This is the next best thing to a preinstalled system. If you get a really old one try a distro called "Damn Small Linux". It's very lean and runns like greased lightening on older machines.

Maybe check pricegrabber.com or pricewatch.com
    they have hundreds of laptops listed, but you will have to search

I never thought that $500 would be considered a "budget" system. My laptop is a P166 that I put together for less than $130, that includes a 20 gig harddrive. Not too shabby for the price and what it can do. I know that these days 20 gigs aren't considered a lot but to say that $500 is cheap?

I ran dsl a few times on it and yeah, it ran pretty quick. I noticed almost no lag in most things. I really just need it for cmdline stuff so it doesn't take much anyway. When I need graphics it does a decent enough job of it.

Nathan

my personal suggestion would be to try to find a thinkpad on ebay. At that price range you could easily get something in the t30 range. I bought a t22 about a year ago and it has given me absolutely no problems and linux compatibility is second to none. I also got the t22 for around 250$ in great condition.

but this is just one mans opinion and others have had great luck with other companies. I will state though that I gad a gateway and it was awful under linux and I would not recommend it to anyone who wants to run linux.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL