Find the answer to your Linux question:
hi all, i am looking for a 2nd hand laptop. However, i do not know what i would want in it (par a few things). can you suggest specs for ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

General Linux laptop specs

hi all,

i am looking for a 2nd hand laptop. However, i do not know what i would want in it (par a few things).

can you suggest specs for a laptop which would survive maybe 2+ years from now.

i am looking to run FC4, SuSe, Gentoo, Slackware, Debian plus everything else. (ok, maybe NOT ALL them, but you get the idea)

would anybody suggest possibly:

750mhz
    10gb+ hdd
    128mb+ ram

or should it be more?
    anything else maybe? I am not really a looking-deep-into-laptops kind of guy.

thanks
    weed

"bong in sniper & stereo"
    "Time has more than one meaning, and is more than one dimension" - /.unknown
    --Registered Linux user #396583--

10GB hard disk might be a little limiting, but you can always fit a bigger one after purchase. You might want to look at some of the less direct stuff that might affect your purchase, such as wireless LAN (if you want that) and USB support in the laptop. Also try to make sure it is nVidia graphics based rather than ATI.
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

would a pc card slot be useful? i have seen wireless lan pc cards before.

can you get usb2 pc cards? my guess is that the lappy i am looking at (timeline wise) will probably not have usb2.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    I cant really help with that. My laptop has a pcmcia slot, but I never use it - I always use the USB2 ports. Maybe someone else can help?
    Linux user #126863 - see http://linuxcounter.net/

Linux Enthusiast
    The specs of the laptop you should get will very much depend on what you want to have. Processor speed is probably the least of your worries, personally, I think that after 1Ghz they're all the same.

RAM is what you should be concentrating on. With something like KDE or GNOME, you want at least 256MB of RAM. I'd say something like XFce is really nice if your RAM is limited. Even with my 256MB I use XFce and love it. It's very fast, and looks good after you configure it the way you want. Obviously, there are others fast and light WM, but XFce, in my opinion, is the best.

I think hard drive space isn't that necessary either. If you install everything you need for a desktop, most distros will still come under 2GB of usage, which still leaves you with 8GB for personal storage and swap space (on a 10GB HD).

Out of the distros you listed, I've tried Debian and Slackware, and actually still have both of them. I have to admit, wireless in Debian is a heck of a lot easier than having to configure all the files in Slackware. In Debian you configure 1 file (/etc/network/interfaces) and you're good to go, "ifup" will do all the work for you. Slackware is a little bit more challenging since you have to set up at least 3 files (I think that's it), and I've never been able to get my wireless working for more than one day under it.

thanks for that post!

so your saying that future-proof acceptable lappy specs are:

1ghz+ processor
    256mb+ ram
    10gb+ hdd

and any extras

my questions: can you upgrade the ram in laptops of the age of maybe 2 or 3 years and can you do the same for the hdd???

Linux Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedman
    my questions: can you upgrade the ram in laptops of the age of maybe 2 or 3 years and can you do the same for the hdd???
    YES and YES. The procedure will be different for ever laptop, but it's possible. Most of them will require you to take it apart to upgrade the HD. But some make it really easy to upgrade the RAM but providing a removable plate that covers the additional RAM slots.

thanks a lot! !

all i need to do now is look around locally for a lappy around those specs

thanks again
    weed