Find the answer to your Linux question:
Looking at my partition table on my Inspiron 6000, the Dell Restore partition is just under 5gb. That's plenty of room for my distro and a swap drive. I figure ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Can I just clear the "Dell Restore" Partition and install on that?

Looking at my partition table on my Inspiron 6000, the Dell Restore partition is just under 5gb. That's plenty of room for my distro and a swap drive.

I figure I'll just delete that partition, install, and mount my windows drive to save documents, etc.
    I'm just curious whether anyone had tried this and/or had problems with it.

Thanks.

Will

Linux Enthusiast
    Yeah, it's possible to delete it, but I wouldn't recommend doing so unless you have a rescue disk. The reason I say that is because if anything goes wrong, there's no way for you to restore your system. I accidentally ruined the rescue partition in one of my computer (actually I ruined the whole partition table) and HP wanted $30 for a rescue disk, screw that!

these recovery partitions suck. i would never use one. besides if you like linux enough, then eventually not bother with windows and you can delete that windows partition too (like i did). if worst comes to worst, just use a windows install CD and you should be fine
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

I scrapped mine as soon as I got my PC

If you're not sure about linux yet though I wouldn't rush into deleting it though. Recovery partitions contain drivers and config that a windows disk wouldn't.

Just Joined!

The catch...

Well, linux i'm sure about. If the missus wasn't afraid of losing her familiar windows environment i'd just zap the whole of it. (although i am getting her to use openoffice now...it's only a matter of time)

maybe i'll just do it the hard (and maybe more, maybe less dangerous) way and resize the windows partition.

nah, get rid of the whole thing. then when windows goes, you say "oh well, you have no choice but to use linux now!! muahahahaha!!" save the last bit until you are on your own tho
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?