Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello. I have just installed FC4 and confronted with a problem. When processor's loading is grow up the cooler start increasing and decreasing its speed very sharply and frequently (one ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Mad cooler (on laptop processor)

Hello. I have just installed FC4 and confronted with a problem. When processor's loading is grow up the cooler start increasing and decreasing its speed very sharply and frequently (one start-stop per second). In other words, cooler's speed is too inconstant. Of course, cooler cannot chill processor properly that way and it's temperature is growing.
    How this problem can be solved?

You mean that when you start FC4 the computer's fan switches on and off every second?? Does this behaviour continue after FC4 has finished booting?? Did this craziness begin the first time you used FC4?? Have you ever observed this with any other operating system on this laptop??
    Registered Linux user #388328 || Registered LFS user #15880
    AMD 64 X2 4600+ :: 2X1GB DDR2 800 :: GeForce 9400 GT 512MB :: ASUS M2N32 Deluxe :: 4X250GB SATAII
    Need instant help? Try us on IRC -- #linuxforums on freenode

Just Joined!
    Quote Originally Posted by smolloy
    You mean that when you start FC4 the computer's fan switches on and off every second??
    Not quite so... The fan start swiching only when processor need cooling. Instead of cooling processor fan switches on and off every second... And when processor's temperatutre is low fan is off.
    Does this behaviour continue after FC4 has finished booting??
    When FC4 has finished booting processor's temperature was low and fan was off. And during installation process fan worked properly and I did not note any problem...
    Did this craziness begin the first time you used FC4??
    Yes, it was since first boot. I made only one thing - started sensors-detect. (But I'm not shure that it is a reason).
    Have you ever observed this with any other operating system on this laptop??
    Well, on Windows 2000, for example, all was ok.

Also I tryed to run fancontrol, but it did not help...

Just Joined!

It87

Some time ago I found, that the reason is in module IT87. After loading it fan begins to work wrong... How to solve this problem?