Find the answer to your Linux question:
Okay well first off, I run a compaq evo N400c laptop. 800mhz proc, 300megs of ram. My dad gave me this laptop awhile ago, and i've tried doing LFS, FreeBSD, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Compaq Laptop Issues

Okay well first off, I run a compaq evo N400c laptop. 800mhz proc, 300megs of ram.
    My dad gave me this laptop awhile ago, and i've tried doing LFS, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Slackware, Debian, etc on it. But with each of them - at random times (usually when i'm compiling something) the laptop just shuts off. Almost like the power was pulled.

Has anyone had problems similar to this, could someone help me diagnose it?

Linux Engineer
    sounds like an acpi issue, try booting with this disabled, grub and lilo have a little different manner of enabling this...
    Operating System: GNU Emacs

Just Joined!
    Well, i tried booting FreeBSD (keep in mind i'm still on a os/distro hunt for this laptop) with apci off and I left it on all night without a problem, but then i did pkg_add -r gmixer and the thing restarted (as opposed to shutting off? ) So i'm not sure if that's the problem. Would disabling apci in the kernel work for disabling it? Would that cause problems?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Just Joined!

Lots of Laptops Shut Off...

I am having the same problem with my HP/Compaq nc8000. Shuts off at random times with no warning. The searches below will reveal many such cases, and usually people suggest over-heating or the batter system as being the problem. In recent months my notebook's fan has indeed been blowing more and louder, but also two months ago a battery died--strange, I thought, for a relatively new computer.

http://www.google.com/search?q=laptop+shuts+off
    http://www.google.com/search?q=notebook+shuts+off

I had random shut offs with my laptop a while ago as well. It was in fact my laptop overheating. Is your fan blowing excessively?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!

Fan blowing constantly

I recall that when I first got the laptop, it was quiet, but now the fan blows constantly. I have the notion that this started when I turned on windoze's file indexing for faster searches, but I turned it off and there was no change. It was probably just a coincidence.

Just Joined!
    I've actually figured this out.

loft306 has the same laptop. It is a issue with something processor related in the bios. I disabled it (under loft306's advice) and i havent had a problem with it since.