Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Hey all, this is my first post. Just had an idea and I hope that someone could help me. I have a Toshiba Satellite 1415 (1.8 celeron, 256 ddr, 30gig, ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Installing Slackware on a laptop

Hey all, this is my first post.
    Just had an idea and I hope that someone could help me. I have a Toshiba Satellite 1415 (1.8 celeron, 256 ddr, 30gig, Gforce 4 420 Go with 16MB). It has windows xp pro and mandrake 9.1 dual booted on it all ready. My prior attemps at installing Slackware have always failed. Usally it fails with the X server and I get mad and install Mandrake or redhat insted. If anyone could help guide me through this it would be great.

Thanks,
    Simbadda

Linux Guru
    hiya,

what stage have you managed to get to? Have you got to actually installing the nvidia drivers?

welcome to the site btw

Jason

Just Joined!
    I installed slackware on my desktop with no luck. I haven't tried it on the laptop as of yet. When i installed it on desktop it have trouble with the screen size and it was unusable.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    Linux Guru
    Is the graphics card the same? if not its proberly impossible to tell what the result will be or how well it will work..

You should be able to find drivers for the card here: http://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp and on the forums getting nvidia cards to work has been discussed a few times.

Jason

Just Joined!
    The desktop computer has a Gforce 4 440MX card.

Linux Guru
    i dont know if their is an easier way to do it these days, but there is a pretty comprehensive mini-howto here: http://www.faqs.org/docs/Linux-mini/...iguration.html

Jason

well to tell you something i have a toshiba satellite 1405 and i have installed slackware 9 on here but i had a minor problem with my keyboard. i do plan on reinstalling slack 9.1 on here as soon as i get some time.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!
    I am a rather new user. I have messed with Linux for a year or so but never really got into it. So when I start installing without a Graphic interface I am lost. Any detailed instructions that anyone my be able to give to me would be great. My email is darkjester420@hotmail.com.
    Thank you for all the help everyone has given to me today.
    Thanks
    Simbadda

Just Joined!
    I took a look at the tutorial nad it seemed pretty easy to me.. Just type and run *almost* ... I'm running Slackware 9.1 on my desktop pc and I used the binary drivers at nvidia.com it worked fine for me after I configured the X11 config-file... Keep up you will get the hang of this soon...*Linux is the best os in overall*

Just Joined!
    I downloaded both Slackware iso's from Linuxiso.org and have burned them to cd have not yet plucked up the courage to try installing so im still on ms xp and my laptop is a toshiba satellite pro 4600.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast