Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hello, I am currently interested in running linux. I am looking to purchase a laptop in the next few days and I am wondering if anyone here has any experience ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Centrino Linux Laptop

Hello,

I am currently interested in running linux. I am looking to purchase a laptop in the next few days and I am wondering if anyone here has any experience with linux and recent laptops. I am interested in getting a laptop with a centrino processor. If anyone has any suggestions on where to pick up a laptop without an operating system installed please let me know. FYI, I am going to be running Red Hat 9.

Thank you.

Try to gather a list of what hardware the laptop contains, and post it here or search at it on google so you know that you don't buy "windows-only" hardware.

Most laptops I've dealt with have no problems whatsoever with GNU/Linux.

Links:

www.linux-laptop.net
    www.linux.org/hardware/laptop.html
    www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Laptop-HOWTO.html

Some of the links might be outdated, but have a look anyways.

Good luck

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I'd check your mfg of your laptop for any linux support or drivers. If there's none (most common) then expect a uphill battle with the wifi, dvd, analog modem (if yoy have or even need it) and the graphics chipset. Some well konwn chipsets are support by the distro makers and others by open source community. The same is true for DVD's, modems and less with wifi. i.e. the current linux kernel doesn't support the g standard or negotiations between a 11b device and a 11g device.

The hardware compatibility list (HCL) are way out of date so they are of some but little use from all distro developers I've seen, and the how to's are not up to speed on current hardware or to generic to work on a specific hardare item.

I don't recall but I thought there was atleast one mfg that didn't offer linux as a OS but did offer drivers thier hardware if you switched. Anone remember? HP, IBM or someone else? See here for new linux pc's: http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux_laptops.html

As a side note/post, without the opensource community making free information available and even drv's/applicaitons to get hardware to work that the mfg's wouldn't linux and even software to run on linux for free, linux wouldn't be as developed as it is. We all owe a thanks to the programmers of the past in getting the linux ball rolling or we would still be using Windows with little choice at all. Sometimes I think of the definition of linux as the re-intoduction of choices for operating sytems and the software that run on it.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    IBM has laptops with linux loaded, & i belive HP is the one that has drivers avalible but don't quote me on the HP thing
    ~Mike ~~~ Forum Rules
    Testing? What's that? If it compiles, it is good, if it boots up, it is perfect. ~ Linus Torvalds
    http://loft306.org

Just Joined!
    Another place to look for linux laptops would be Http://emperorlinux.com .
    This site sells laptops from different manufacturers with their own laptop optimized distrobution or you can choose a different distro from a list they provide.

Just something I heard on a related note: Intel allegedly said that they "owe the Linux community a driver for Centrino." Whether or not they are currently working on one is beyond me, but that's what I read somewhere (feel free to provide links if you know where I got this...I'll check as well).

"Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Linux Engineer
    http://www.linuxweekly.co.uk/articleview.php?id=115

from the "In The News" section... it was a post about Intel and M$ still being best buds...
    Their code will be beautiful, even if their desks are buried in 3 feet of crap. - esr

Quote Originally Posted by sarumont
    Just something I heard on a related note: Intel allegedly said that they "owe the Linux community a driver for Centrino." Whether or not they are currently working on one is beyond me, but that's what I read somewhere (feel free to provide links if you know where I got this...I'll check as well).

Yeh there working on one but have no relese date So i guess that means when they can be assed