Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Ive just come over from windows, however in linux I cannot read how much battery power I have left it always reports as 1% full even when fully charged. I ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Battery Problem

Ive just come over from windows, however in linux I cannot read how much battery power I have left it always reports as 1% full even when fully charged.
    I have the Acer Aspire 5002LM and i'm running SuSE9.3, thanks for any help,
    Ollie.

are you using acpi or apm?
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

I'm pretty sure acpi is installed by default with Suse but I am not 100% sure (it was installed for me in 10.0 - 9.3 had no problems with the battery either). Does it say 1% full when plugged in and unplugged?

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

Just Joined!
    Yea it says 1% when plugged in and when unplugged, how do i tell if i'm using acpi and api.

Thanks

Search Yast to see if they are installed.

There is also a power management module for Yast: Yast>System>Power Management. Go here and try changing some of those settings.

Bryan
    Looking for a distro? Look here.
    "There can be no doubt that all our knowledge begins with experience." - Immanuel Kant (Critique of Pure Reason)
    Queen's University - Arts and Science 2008 (Sociology)
    Registered Linux User #386147.

try in the console

as root
    Code:
    #acpi -b
    if it says something other than command not found you are using acpi and if it shows the correct battery status then it is a problem with your gui battery thing. Sorry I don't know exact term but I think you are referring to a little battery symbol on your desktop. I have FC3 and this thing never worked for me so try using the command above.
    All right, brain. You don't like me and I don't like you, but let's just do this and I can get back to killing you with beer. All New Users Read This!!! If you have a grub problem please look at GRUB MANUAL

Just Joined!
    Nothing happens when i type the code in, not even command not found, that is logged in as root. In YaST under power management there is a ACPI settings button, which would suggest it is installed, however the only settings there are to change are just preferances such as what happens when the lid is closed and editing power schemes.

you can try looking in /proc

[/code] cd /proc/acpi if you have this directory then acpi is working. Then in this you should be able to find something like this with this command
    cat battery/BAT0/state thats a zero not an o. or from anywhere
    cat /proc/acpi/battery/BAT0/state
    Code:
    if this doesn't work try the same thing basically but with apm
    cat /proc/apm/..........[/code]

if neither show up then I'm lost or you don't have either support in your kernel which would be troublesome

EDIT: apparently I'm not gettting the code part to work today but I hope you get the point

Linux Newbie
    I think what spencerf means when he says
    Code:
    #acpi -b
    is to type it as root, so it would just be
    Code:
    acpi -b
    The hashes indicate that it's a comment and the shell will just ignore it.

that's correct hamburger I didn't even think that he entered in pound before the acpi -b part. I can see how that would be confusing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast