Find the answer to your Linux question:
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
hmm... i'll give that a shot later. right now i think i've got internet access through my home ADSL connection but i'm not sure since it could just be pirating ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

hmm... i'll give that a shot later. right now i think i've got internet access through my home ADSL connection but i'm not sure since it could just be pirating the neighbor's wireless. is there a way to check how i'm connected? ifconfig and /etc/init.d/network status just say that both devices are running.
    Here's why Linux is easier than Windows:
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

try looking at output from iwconfig to see which wireless you are connected to.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

ah, i didn't make myself clear. i meant that i'm connected via ethernet cable to my modem (wired), yet i have wireless which for all i know could be pirating the neighbor's network, thus bringing the boys in blue down on my ass
    Package Managers! Apt-Get and Portage (among others) allow users to install programs MUCH easier than Windows can.
    Hardware Drivers. In SuSE, ALL the hardware is detected and installed automatically! How is this harder than Windows' constant disc changing and rebooting?

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    In that case, take a look at the output from the route command. Under deafault, it will show which interface is used to connect to the internet e.g. eth0 etc..
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

ok, i didn't try that but through a little messing around (namely turning off the wireless) i found out that it's connecting purely through the wireless connection and can't seem to connect to the ADSL modem through my ethernet port. the wireless is eth0 and the ethernet is eth1. how do i fix this to force suse to find the modem on eth1?

EDIT: never mind, i fixed it. i just had to reboot the computer like i had to with my desktop when i set that one up. i turned of the wifi adaptor just in case, but i'd imagine it should work ok now

UPDATE: WOO! i got the 3D drivers working!
    glxgears give me a framerate of 4000FPS+ needless to say this machine should run quake 4 easily

ok, been installing games and i've come across problems with the sound. when listening to music it's fine, but when it comes to games it is poor. NWN gives me no sound and the Quake 4 demo gives very poor quality sound.
    lspci gives me:
    Code:
    0000:00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 04)
    is there anything i can do to fix this problem? anything at all? i'll even sell my soul and give my first born son.

Just Joined!
    So you had sound out of the box with the Acer laptop? Amazing...

I can see that this thread is little dated but I'm interested in an update (if you still read this that is). For me to get sound in games I used the latest Alsa drivers from CVS. ut2k4 sounds alright but NWN gives me extremely poor sound quality. Just wondering how far you got on this.

I'm using Ubuntu 5.10 on an Acer Aspire 1640.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2