Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi fellow tekkies; I'm thinking about getting a new laptop. I want one with easy access to the main hard drive so I can install freeBSD on one hd, centOS ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Thoughts on purchasing an IBM Z60m laptop ?

Hi fellow tekkies;

I'm thinking about getting a new laptop. I want one with easy access to the main hard drive so I can install freeBSD on one hd, centOS on another, ad openSUSE on a third. The z series IBM has this, is rugged and has the ultra bay where I can have a cd/dvd burner, or swap it out for a second ATA hard drive.

Anyone have any thoughts, experioences, etc with the Z-series IBM laptops or similar (maybe the T-series) ?

I haven't tried that laptop or any IBM laptop, but you can take a look at this site to find other people's experiences with linux on various laptops.
    Life is complex, it has a real part and an imaginary part.

Just Joined!

IBM ThinkPad T20 and T21

hi, I work with debian on both IBM Thinkpads, the T20 and the T21 and I have just good things to tell. I experienced no problems on using debian stable (sarge), testing (etch) and unstable on those laptops. Even what kind of kernel you use doesnt matter I used the 2.4 and now the linux-image-2.6.14-2-686 kernel is my favorite (I have a Pentium III).

I would say Linux on IBM Thinkpads is a good choice.