Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi everyone. I performed a linux upgrade, can't remember how, i think with yum, and the kernel got upgraded there as well. Now, before i did that, i was able ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.

Touchpad altered after upgrade

Hi everyone.

I performed a linux upgrade, can't remember how, i think with yum, and the kernel got upgraded there as well. Now, before i did that, i was able to double-finger on the touchpad and i could drag objects and windows sliding my finger on the touchpad and then letting go. I was able to select objects the same way. But now, i can't do this anymore. Does anyone have any idea what happened or where i can start looking for answers? Another interesting fact is that otherwise, it's working fine.

This happened about 2 months ago and i've been searching almighty google for the solution but it hasn't come yet.

My laptop is a toshiba satellite A70-SP211 having fedora core 3 on it.

Thanks for the help in advanced guys.

The first step is to identify your touchpad model and manufacturer. This should be easily found using lspci and dmesg. Hit google with the new information and/or post it up here.
    "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so."
    ~Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Here's the result of the lspci command, which i read and does not give out any ideas.

Code:
    00:00.0 Host bridge: ATI Technologies Inc RS300 Host Bridge (rev 02)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon 9100 IGP AGP Bridge
    00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc OHCI USB Controller #1 (rev 01)
    00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc OHCI USB Controller #2 (rev 01)
    00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc EHCI USB Controller (rev 01)
    00:14.0 SMBus: ATI Technologies Inc ATI SMBus (rev 18)
    00:14.1 IDE interface: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4349
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 434c
    00:14.4 PCI bridge: ATI Technologies Inc: Unknown device 4342
    00:14.5 Multimedia audio controller: ATI Technologies Inc IXP150 AC'97 Audio Controller
    00:14.6 Modem: ATI Technologies Inc IXP AC'97 Modem (rev 01)
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS300M AGP [Radeon Mobility 9100IGP]
    02:02.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications, Inc. AR5212 802.11abg NIC (rev 01)
    02:03.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
    02:04.0 CardBus bridge: ENE Technology Inc CB1410 Cardbus Controller (rev 01)
    On the other hand, the result from the dmesg command threw a long list of items, i am going to go over it and try to find out if i can filter options regarding the touchpad, which will be hard to accomplish since in linux, names don't give away a hint of what they are about.

Here's something i picked up grepping the long list with mouse and touchpad:

Code:
    mice: PS/2 mouse device common for all mice
    psmouse.c: GlidePoint at isa0060/serio4/input0 lost synchronization, throwing 1 bytes away.
    Hope this helps you. I will start another round of googling over again.

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close

Unhappy

I am going nuts over this problem, can anybody give me anymore hints with the information i've posted so far? The last post represents the time when i started googling, and today i just want to get it done and i don't know how.