Find the answer to your Linux question:
Hi! i have a question about linux on laptops... i corius if it is a diffrent installation than in on a desktop wen a install linux redhat for example? My ...
Enjoy an ad free experience by logging in. Not a member yet? Register.
    Just Joined!

Linux on laptop like CityNote

Hi! i have a question about linux on laptops...
    i corius if it is a diffrent installation than in on a desktop wen a install linux redhat for example?

My laptop is an intel pentium 4 2.4 mhz , 512 MB 40Gb Fijustsu , wlan, cd-rw -dvd, usb, firewire and more...

Any one have problem with linux installation on laptop?

And another question is... how wlan works with linux? problems?

Thanks!

morris

flw
    Linux Engineer
    I'll reword your quesiton, "Ias there anyone with a laptop that hasn't had a issue with it." The problem is the hardare is specialized and to a much smaller crowd than desktop so mfg's are less motivated to make the linux drv's for the laptops which it why there are linux laptop specific sites.

I'll try to find a few for you unless someone else gets them first.
    Dan

\"Keep your friends close and your enemies even closer\" from The Art of War by Sun Tzu\"

Just Joined!

Thanks

Hi!
    Sow it's not harder than a desktop, the problem is there are less drivers writen for laptops. ok more work to find those... well i have to learn some time sow why not?

But even if i have an new laptop with the newest components | more ?
    ok thanks for the effort if you fins good links to linux laptops drivers.

iguess then its harder with wireless drivers?

Thanks flw

/Morris

4. $spacer_open
    $spacer_close
    the biggest problem with installing on a laptop is that it is hard to get your battery stuff in there and also to get your touch pad to work i will see if i can find my links on how to get them too work

edit: info for getting touchpad to work http://compass.com/synaptics/
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com
    Please don\'t PM me for help-- ask in the forums instead!

Just Joined!

Linux on laptop

Hi all linux fans!
    Hope you can contribute with some good links on how to install linux ex. redhat 9.0
    on a laptop i use linux redhat 9.0 but any linux distrib. is welcome! as log it is linux, i dont want to install window just because linux make its to difficult to install on a laptop. Or if some one have any ideas of what linux distrib. is most easy to install and find drivers to a laptop.

Hope you have som goog links

you will do a normal install jst like you would for a desktop and then have to install some stuff to get the other stuff working. i would look around for info on the power managment stuff for the laptop in linux. unless you keep you laptop plugged in at all times like i do you will prolly need that. sorry i dont know where to get any info about. but i would recommend goin to http://www.google.com/linux

hope this helps
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

Just Joined!
    would look around for info on the power managment stuff for the laptop in linux
    Sow... theres is a big problem with the power managment in linux?
    Well i usaly keep my pc on för days and weeks before i turn them off.
    But this dose note solve any of this problems with the power managment.

It's sounds it is a lot of toublem to install linux in laptops, wen i installed linux on my desktop all worked fine besides the webcam express that i have that wont work, but thats ok because i dont use it sow often.

Please! i need help from linux fans and gurus how to make linux work right on laptop. Ok... it's not a panic but i really want to make it work on a laptop.

Any one have experience of laptops like citynote extrem5?

THANKS!

/Morris

do you plan on installing redhat 9? cause if so then after you have installed it on your laptop it should have reconized it was a laptop and then it will tell you where you can get the info on how to install the power management stuff. so i say jst go ahead and install redhat on your laptop and from there we can work out the bugs but you should install first so we can help get the bugs worked out for you. but the only to things really will be the touch pad which i gave you a link above and then the power management and redhat will tell you where to find stuff about this. when i get home i will boot my laptop into linux and take alook for you and see where it tells me to go to find the stuff about it at. but again i would recommend you install redhat first cause i think to get the power management thing to work you will need to recompile it into your kernel but im not sure so dont quote me on that. well have fun installing and let us know what happens.
    BIG K aka Kyle
    Programming Forums
    www.kylekonline.com

Just Joined!

Allright

Hi!
    Ok... that sounds very good and thanks for your effort on trying to help me out with my linux installation, the thing is thant i relly like linux and dont want to go back to windows xp, have it at work sow thats covers my windows need.

I have recently bought my laptop but i havent got it delivery it to my home.
    But as son i have it in front of me i will write you and tell you what did work and did not work on/after installation.

Thanks again! Big_k105